The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Got to love.......

Coaches that dont think rules apply because of the situation, outs, championship game etc.

Old article, but found it killing time surfing the web.

"I don't think you can make that call when it's 0-0 in the state championship game," Mull said. "I'm not blaming the umpires, but it changed the momentum of the game. I felt if we could have gotten that game to the tiebreaker, we could win it. That call certainly didn't help."

Full article and video.

zz-test-- Sports Edition Demo - Softball Gordon Lee forced to settle for second again

Also looks like the catcher mouthed off to the umpire and should have been parked on the bench.

Last edited by RKBUmp; Sun Dec 14, 2014 at 10:48pm.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Coaches never seem to recognize (and if they do, they ignore it) that to not call something because it goes against them is to penalize the team that didn't do anything wrong. So who should be penalized - The team that screwed up or the team that didn't screw up?

As an aside, unless the catcher didn't have her foot on the plate initially, she definitely had an out because the ball was in the glove before her foot moved. You can freeze frame it and see that. I'm guessing she wasn't on the plate to begin with, I hope.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Well, this coach is obviously too stupid to stay at the HS level. What a bunch of gibberish.

Looks like the catcher may have picked up a heel or not have been on the plate at all, but did that umpire ever stop for anything? He had some happy feet. And I was a little surprised to see him leave the mask on the ground to march over and complain to the coach, assumingly about the catcher.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Looks like the catcher may have picked up a heel or not have been on the plate at all, but did that umpire ever stop for anything? He had some happy feet. And I was a little surprised to see him leave the mask on the ground to march over and complain to the coach, assumingly about the catcher.
Agree. She's moving her trail foot up before the ball gets there. That safe mechanic is not textbook.

I think he ejected the catcher. (The next clip shows a play at the plate but it is a different catcher.) The manner in which he talks to the coach at the dugout looks poor.