The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Showcase Ejections (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98589-showcase-ejections.html)

tcannizzo Mon Nov 03, 2014 09:54am

Showcase Ejections

Was at the Disney Showcase this weekend and there were two situations that I put out here for discussions. One was mine, the other someone else.

Mine:
R1 INT w/ F6, my call. 3BC challenges but to no avail; no problem. Gets another R1 to 2B in same inning and says something to her like, "You obviously need to avoid contact" (slightly sarcastic, but still no problem). Then as I get set for the next pitch I hear "What are you looking at???!! Just play Ball" to either F5 or F6, I'm not sure, but I sure as hell didn't like it.
Is that worthy of ejection? Mind you, this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman.

I did not eject, I called TIME and walked over to him and said, "Don't ever speak to a player like that again. Ever!" and walked back.

I hate think what would have happened if the player said, "I'm looking at YOU *******."

Other:
OC doesn't like the way her player ran bases, so did the old grab the player by the face mask and shake well before serving. Ump warns coach. Coach says, "I don't tell you how to do your job, don't tell me how to do mine."
She got tossed.
Warranted?

Andy Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:34am

Coach speaking to an opposing player in the manner you described gets a warning, at minimum, ejection at maximum depending on what was said, prior conduct in the game, general tenor of the game, etc.....

In your second situation, I don't feel that it is my position as an umpire to get involved in that interaction between a coach and his player. You indicated that this was a showcase, so I'm assuming older teenage players that have been in travel ball for awhile. I certainly don't like or condone his conduct, but at that level it's up to the player and/or her parents to stand up to that.

MD Longhorn Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:28am

I would have included the word "opposing" before player, but you were right to stop it in it's tracks. Ejection wouldn't have been completely unwarranted if you chose to go there.

2nd sitch, I have no issue with this ejection. I probably wouldn't have said anything about the coaches behavior with his player, but had I done so and he reacted that way, I can definitely see tossing him.

CecilOne Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 942883)
Was at the Disney Showcase this weekend and there were two situations that I put out here for discussions. One was mine, the other someone else.

Mine:
R1 INT w/ F6, my call. 3BC challenges but to no avail; no problem. Gets another R1 to 2B in same inning and says something to her like, "You obviously need to avoid contact" (slightly sarcastic, but still no problem). Then as I get set for the next pitch I hear "What are you looking at???!! Just play Ball" to either F5 or F6, I'm not sure, but I sure as hell didn't like it.
Is that worthy of ejection? Mind you, this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman.

I did not eject, I called TIME and walked over to him and said, "Don't ever speak to a player like that again. Ever!" and walked back.

I hate think what would have happened if the player said, "I'm looking at YOU *******."

Other:
OC doesn't like the way her player ran bases, so did the old grab the player by the face mask and shake well before serving. Ump warns coach. Coach says, "I don't tell you how to do your job, don't tell me how to do mine."
She got tossed.
Warranted?

Neither is an ejection. You did right in case 1, but be sure to say " another team's player".

I understand the other umpire's concern for player safety and no violence on the field; but say that only.

Agree with Andy's comments.

----------------------------------------------
"this guy was a big ol' boy. Probably a former defensive lineman"
Come on! :rolleyes: :o

Manny A Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:42pm

You guys have these kinds of issues at showcases? Wow.

I probably wouldn't have called Time and walk over to the 3BC. A stern, "Knock it off, Coach," from C would have sufficed for me.

I agree with others that I don't get involved with coaches dealing with their own players unless it goes WAAAY over the top (and doing the face mask shake is not what I would consider over the top). As a parent, I might've had a problem with it and dealt with the coach after the game.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:42pm

Quote:

If you weren't sure, you shouldn't have taken any action.

Quote:

She got tossed.
Warranted?
Depends? I would have to see it, but I tend to agree with the coach's statement.

Now, bringing it to the attention of a TD would be another issue :)

tcannizzo Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 942897)

And at the Magic Kingdom to boot!
Tinkerbell was nowhere to be found.:eek:

KJUmp Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 942898)

Depends? I would have to see it, but I tend to agree with the coach's statement.

Now, bringing it to the attention of a TD would be another issue :)

Agree on all three points.

CecilOne Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 942898)

I thought he wasn't sure of F5 or F6.
:confused:

CecilOne Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 942897)

I probably wouldn't have called Time and walk over to the 3BC. A stern, "Knock it off, Coach," from C would have sufficed for me.

I would not say that aloud, or shout at a coach from a distance anyway.
If at a distance, just "coach! ... " in an advisory tone.

Manny A Mon Nov 03, 2014 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 942906)
I would not say that aloud, or shout at a coach from a distance anyway.
If at a distance, just "coach! ... " in an advisory tone.

I wouldn't have shouted it. Under the scenario, I would have been at C, probably 40-50 feet away from the coach. Nothing wrong with saying, "Knock it off, Coach," just loud enough for him to hear, IMO.

tcannizzo Mon Nov 03, 2014 09:09pm

At that moment in time, right or wrong, I decided it was better if nobody knew what I was saying, except me and the specific party.

But I do appreciate all of the feedback.

Manny A Tue Nov 04, 2014 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 942948)
At that moment in time, right or wrong, I decided it was better if nobody knew what I was saying, except me and the specific party.

To each his/her own, I suppose. I prefer not to attract so much attention, which is what I feel happens when an umpire calls Time, walks over to the miscreant, says something, then turns around and walks back to position. Plate umpires can get away with the "show" by pulling out the line-up card, giving the impression he/she is clarifying the batting order with the coach. But a base umpire can't do the same.

HugoTafurst Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:13pm

Quote:

(Snip)

Other:
She got tossed.
Warranted?

What brand of Beer did he have to
buy for Dave?
:-)

tcannizzo Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:52pm

Beer might not be enough. It was one of the host teams :eek: