The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ball hits bat or bat hits ball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98226-ball-hits-bat-bat-hits-ball.html)

xtremeump Fri Jul 25, 2014 06:21pm

Ball hits bat or bat hits ball

Batter bunts ball straight down, ball comes straight up. Batter drops the bat and the ball and bat meet in the air in fair territory ? The BR is in the batters box. What is the call (all codes) ?

tcannizzo Fri Jul 25, 2014 06:25pm

If the bat is still in the batter's hands and batter in box, then dead ball foul.
I have an out in your sitch.

xtremeump Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48pm

OP Batter does not have the bat in her hands.

tcannizzo Sat Jul 26, 2014 06:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 938284)
OP Batter does not have the bat in her hands.

Right, so in this case you have the bat hitting the ball, assuming over fair territory, and an out.

xtremeump Sat Jul 26, 2014 06:57am

The only person that saw the bat out of the hands was the PU. I agree with you, it is not an every game play, we have the ones that are clear to everyone on the ground. This one bothers me because it is a little different did the ball hit the bat? Or did the bat hit the ball ?

CecilOne Sat Jul 26, 2014 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 938290)
The only person that saw the bat out of the hands was the PU. I agree with you, it is not an every game play, we have the ones that are clear to everyone on the ground. This one bothers me because it is a little different did the ball hit the bat? Or did the bat hit the ball ?

If the bat is still moving, then it hit the ball.
However, never guess an out.

jmkupka Sat Jul 26, 2014 09:04am

The whole bat hits ball/ball hits bat idea is for when both are on the ground and rolling.
If the ball rolls away in the bat catches up to it and hits it, out.
If the bat is laying still in the ball rolls into it, play on.
If the bat is released and dropped, and the ball is bouncing up and meets it in midair, that'll be an out.

xtremeump Sat Jul 26, 2014 09:15pm

Please give rule reference or Case Play.

Skahtboi Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:37am

If the bat and the ball meet, as you say, in mid air, I can't see how you could have any choice but to rule that the bat was moving and as a result hit the ball.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 938321)
Please give rule reference or Case Play.

ASA 7.6.M, Exceptions & Effects.

Even though it is impossible to call a batter out for interfering with a fair batted ball, the rule and exceptions are still effective.

xtremeump Sun Jul 27, 2014 04:52pm

I thought this play was different and would have better input. It was so close and only one person in the world saw it, we called Dead ball Foul. It was the second batter of an elimination game at a National Tournament. Any thoughts are welcome.

tcannizzo Sun Jul 27, 2014 05:51pm

As long as the only person who saw it was PU, then you made the right call.
Especially in a National Tournament.

Manny A Mon Jul 28, 2014 04:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 938332)
I thought this play was different and would have better input. It was so close and only one person in the world saw it, we called Dead ball Foul. It was the second batter of an elimination game at a National Tournament. Any thoughts are welcome.

I don't see how you would support anything other than an out here. The Exceptions in 7-6-M are clear that the bat must still be in the batter's hands if she's still in the box, or that the ball rolls against a bat. A loose bat dropped onto a fair ball is a dead ball out, regardless of the batter's location.

You guys cut the girl some slack if you clearly saw the bat out of her hands when it contacted the ball. While I agree with you that it's not something you see every day and that it happened so close that only one person could see it, it should have been an out. Sometimes the game is a matter of millimeters.

EsqUmp Mon Jul 28, 2014 05:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 938331)
ASA 7.6.M, Exceptions & Effects.

Even though it is impossible to call a batter out for interfering with a fair batted ball, the rule and exceptions are still effective.

Please clarify what you mean by, "it is impossible to call a batter out for interfering with a fair batted ball." I'm not understanding the context here.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 28, 2014 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 938337)
Please clarify what you mean by, "it is impossible to call a batter out for interfering with a fair batted ball." I'm not understanding the context here.

ASA Rule 8.1.A
NCAA 12.1
NFHS 8.1.1
ISF 8.1.A