The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Correct call? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98048-correct-call.html)

chapmaja Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30pm

Correct call?

Heard about this one in the rec league I work in. (ASA rules with local modifications, none of which apply to the situation.)

Field has a temporary fence.

Bases loaded nobody out. B4 hits a high fly ball that F9 going back to catch. The ball bounces off the glove of F9 as he crashes into the fence. The ball drops, hits the fence which is now collapsing and somehow ends out outside the fence. F9 picks the ball up and throws it back in. R1 scores. R2 misses 3rd base and scores. R3 misses the plate when he comes in. B4 misses first on his way to second. The umpire kills the play. Awarding R1 home, R2 home, R3 third, and B4 second. All activity has stopped and then the defense then appeals R2 missing third, and B4 missing first. They also appeal R3 missing home, which is denied because R3 never legally scored since the award was 3nd base.

When the next pitch was thrown, R3 was on third, R4 was on 2nd, and B5 was up to bat.

Was the umpire correct in his ruling on the play?

This is why it is called WRECK League Slow pitch.

nopachunts Thu Jun 12, 2014 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 935882)
Heard about this one in the rec league I work in. (ASA rules with local modifications, none of which apply to the situation.)

Field has a temporary fence.

Bases loaded nobody out. B4 hits a high fly ball that F9 going back to catch. The ball bounces off the glove of F9 as he crashes into the fence. The ball drops, hits the fence which is now collapsing and somehow ends out outside the fence. F9 picks the ball up and throws it back in. R1 scores. R2 misses 3rd base and scores. R3 misses the plate when he comes in. B4 misses first on his way to second. The umpire kills the play. Awarding R1 home, R2 home, R3 third, and B4 second. All activity has stopped and then the defense then appeals R2 missing third, and B4 missing first. They also appeal R3 missing home, which is denied because R3 never legally scored since the award was 3nd base.

When the next pitch was thrown, R3 was on third, R4 was on 2nd, and B5 was up to bat.

Was the umpire correct in his ruling on the play?

This is why it is called WRECK League Slow pitch.

Were the appeals on R2 and B4 upheld or denied? The way your post is written it looks like both appeals were denied. Based on the batted ball going into DBT off of F9's glove, and both appeals denied, I have the call by the umpire as correct. BTW, I agree with the "Wreck" name. Slow pitch is like baby-sitting adults.

CecilOne Thu Jun 12, 2014 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 935891)
Were the appeals on R2 and B4 upheld or denied? The way your post is written it looks like both appeals were denied. Based on the batted ball going into DBT off of F9's glove, and both appeals denied, I have the call by the umpire as correct. BTW, I agree with the "Wreck" name. Slow pitch is like baby-sitting adults.

Agree. That's what I wondered as B4 stayed on 2nd. Can't tell anything about the R2 appeal. Probably a 1 umpire game, hard to see missed bases, especially 1st, while watching F9 and the ball.

Manny A Thu Jun 12, 2014 09:54am

Why was it a two-base award and not a four-base award?

CecilOne Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 935905)
Why was it a two-base award and not a four-base award?

If "The ball drops, hits the fence which is now collapsing " means it hit in play first.

Manny A Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 935906)
If "The ball drops, hits the fence which is now collapsing " means it hit in play first.

Well, he wasn't clear what part of the fence was hit. If it's the top of the fence, wouldn't that still qualify for a HR call? A ball that bounces off a fielder, hits the top of the fence that is upright, and then goes over is a HR. Does that change when the fence is falling away from the field of play?

Andy Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:36am

If I am reading this correctly....

I've got a dead ball, two base award.
Prior to the appeals, two runs score, R3 now on third, R4 now on second

After the appeals and if the appeals were upheld,

R2 declared out for missing 3rd, that run is removed.
R4 declared out for missing first, removed from second base.
Appeal on R3 missing home is moot, as stated in the OP.

End result:

One run scores, runner on third base, two outs, B5 at bat.

chuck chopper Thu Jun 12, 2014 04:22pm

I'm with Manny. 4 base award.

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 12, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck chopper (Post 935935)
I'm with Manny. 4 base award.

By rule it's not (not unless the ball hit the "top" of the fence ... something the OP didn't say at all). The face of the fence is treated just like the ground.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 12, 2014 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935937)
By rule it's not (not unless the ball hit the "top" of the fence ... something the OP didn't say at all). The face of the fence is treated just like the ground.

In ASA, the top of the fence is in play.

But on a collapsed fence, the fence is considered in play. BTW, that is RS#20.B

chapmaja Fri Jun 13, 2014 07:23am

From what I understood, this was a situation where the ball was not close to hitting the top of the fence, but actually hit well down the fence or even on the ground in front of the fence. This would take the 4 base award out of play because it hit in LBT, then ended up in DBT. (I suspect, given what I've heard of the play), that the ball hit the glove dropped and as the fielder crashed into the fence and collapsed it) the ball was "kicked" over the collapsing fence).

Having seen the players involved on this team, and knowing the umpire, I think he was able to rule on all the appeals. Why? The batter is a rather larger and slow moving individual (he has bit balls to the fence for singles before in my games), who likes to watch his hits fly. It is very possible R2 had rounded 3rd (and missed it) before the batter was close to first, thus giving the PU (1 ump system) a chance to watch the batter miss first base.

Rich Mon Jun 16, 2014 08:47am

I just deleted two posts. Play nice.

CecilOne Mon Jun 16, 2014 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 936072)
I just deleted two posts. Play nice.

Thanks.