The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Runner collides with on deck batter (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97773-runner-collides-deck-batter.html)

Gmoore Sat Apr 19, 2014 07:25pm

Runner collides with on deck batter

Runner on 2nd and 1st batter hits a ball into the gap runner on second comes around 3rd and going home on deck batter thinks she needs to get the bat out of the way and goes to pick it up, the runner going home collides with the girl picking up the bat, the ball is thrown to cut off person standing at second.

Is this considered assisting the runner? I was told that I should have called the runner out and returned the runners to the base they occupied at the time of the collision.

RKBUmp Sat Apr 19, 2014 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmoore (Post 932263)
Runner on 2nd and 1st batter hits a ball into the gap runner on second comes around 3rd and going home on deck batter thinks she needs to get the bat out of the way and goes to pick it up, the runner going home collides with the girl picking up the bat, the ball is thrown to cut off person standing at second.

Is this considered assisting the runner? I was told that I should have called the runner out and returned the runners to the base they occupied at the time of the collision.

How is getting in the way of your own runner assisting them? Assist would be to help someone, not hinder them.

Gmoore Sat Apr 19, 2014 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 932264)
How is getting in the way of your own runner assisting them? Assist would be to help someone, not hinder them.

I am tend to agree, I made no call on the play, but after the game was over I was told otherwise from the UIC of the conference.

I ask under what rule he felt covered this and he stated assisting the runner and my comment was she was not assisted, he didn't agree I looked in the NCAA rule book but I could not find any effects to help me out one way or the other

IRISHMAFIA Sat Apr 19, 2014 08:21pm

Quote:

You were told wrong. Unless the non-runner actually provides some level of assistance, it is nothing.

Well, thank goodness no one mentioned calling obstruction on the ODB :)

chapmaja Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44pm

Quote:

I have to agree with the other posts. I don't see anything that resembles assisting a runner in what is described. The only way this is assisting a runner is if the collision knocked the runner down and then the ODB helped the runner get back up, then we could have assisting, otherwise I don't see anything to suggest assisting.

CecilOne Sun Apr 20, 2014 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 932268)
Well, thank goodness no one mentioned calling obstruction on the ODB :)

Until now! :eek: :p :p :)

xtremeump Sun Apr 20, 2014 08:54pm

I can't help myself, if the PU had Safely, and Carefully removed the bat from a dangerous location. Nothing Follows:D

Gmoore Sun Apr 20, 2014 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 932299)
I can't help myself, if the PU had Safely, and Carefully removed the bat from a dangerous location. Nothing Follows:D

the bat was about half way between home and third on the fair ground, the runner took a wide turn coming home, didn't think it was in the way

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 932299)

The ODB stays off the field and nothing happens or the umpire goes to move the bat and get run over by the player instead of being back where s/he belongs.

EsqUmp Mon Apr 21, 2014 06:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmoore (Post 932300)
the bat was about half way between home and third on the fair ground, the runner took a wide turn coming home, didn't think it was in the way

The bat was 30 feet up the 3rd base line in fair territory? I find that hard to believe. I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 21, 2014 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 932316)
The bat was 30 feet up the 3rd base line in fair territory? I find that hard to believe. I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.

You've never seen a batter release on contact and the bat go flying into the infield?

No one said it made any sense, but maybe this team had a policy of sorts that the ODB always cleared the bat. Using common sense doesn't seem to be a requirement for this game.

CecilOne Mon Apr 21, 2014 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 932316)
I find it even harder to believe that an on-deck batter ran 40+ feet to go get a bat that wasn't in the way and impeded her own runner. None of that makes sense.

Happens more often from 3rd base dugout. 30 feet up the line is pretty close to the on deck circle.

MD Longhorn Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30am

I don't find it hard to believe that the bat ended up there - but I do find it very odd that the ODB went out there. Kind of stupid really ... just a shade stupider than the umpire trying to run out there and move it.

Dakota Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 932330)
I don't find it hard to believe that the bat ended up there - but I do find it very odd that the ODB went out there. Kind of stupid really ... just a shade stupider than the umpire trying to run out there and move it.

I'd "shade" it the other way. The PU has no business going after a bat half way to 3B with an active runner coming home.

MD Longhorn Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 932333)
I'd "shade" it the other way. The PU has no business going after a bat half way to 3B with an active runner coming home.

Fair enough! :)