The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   First College Games (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97694-first-college-games.html)

dlsumpntx Mon Apr 07, 2014 08:21am

First College Games

After several years doing high school ball, I'm doing my first junior college game this week (2 man). Any advice from you college veterans?

KJUmp Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsumpntx (Post 930736)
After several years doing high school ball, I'm doing my first junior college game this week (2 man). Any advice from you college veterans?

Study/review....
1) The rule differences between NCAA and the other rulesets you may work....NFHS, ASA etc.
2) NCAA two umpire mechanics.

Good luck with your first college assignment.

azbigdawg Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsumpntx (Post 930736)

relax. You have probably seen better ball already.

Be aware of the rule differences

fastpitch1 Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00pm

first game

Relax and have fun.Absolutely be sharp with your mechanics,I won't mention the rules knowledge again...=·)

Manny A Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 930745)

Bigdawg beat me to it. I just worked a Juco DH this past weekend, and I've done HS games that are much better played.

We had a leaving base early violation in our game. Runner actually took a legitimate lead off of first base. Surprised my partner so much that he called "Illegal" instead of "Early" on the DDB call.

Other things I've experienced in my four or five years of working Juco in our area:

- Teams are notorious for not being ready for the bat inspection using the NCAA bat list. They show up with old copies of the list, they don't have the lists pre-marked with the bats they have, they mark the list using the list from the last game and now have different bats, etc.

- Know the unreported substitution rules and the penalties. So many coaches don't understand that they must report when a player changes defensive positions.

- You WILL see a fielder obstruct a runner while the runner is rounding a base. Happened to me again this past weekend. Know the implication of that violation (player warning, etc.)

- Don't ask, "Are your players legally and properly equipped" at the plate conference. :o

- There are no courtesy runners in Juco. There are no courtesy runners in Juco. There are no... :o

PATRICK Mon Apr 07, 2014 02:06pm

Most Junior Colleges I see could be beaten by a good U14 travel team.

Andy Mon Apr 07, 2014 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 930745)

Be aware of the rule differences

Working in the same JUCO league...I concur.....

roadking Mon Apr 07, 2014 02:45pm

Keep everything at a professional level..no small talk. College coaches aren't your friends, they'll quickly turn on you.

Manny A Mon Apr 07, 2014 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 930797)
Keep everything at a professional level..no small talk. College coaches aren't your friends, they'll quickly turn on you.

We should be that way at every level except perhaps with rec leagues.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Apr 07, 2014 03:10pm

Make sure you review the NCAA strikezone. It is different from what most high school umpires call.

fastpitch1 Mon Apr 07, 2014 04:29pm

first game

Strike zone,great point, its a point of emphasis this year.:)

Skahtboi Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 930798)
We should be that way at every level.

There, I fixed it for you. :D

Skahtboi Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:12pm

Addressing the OP. Yep, it has all been said. Most of the 4 and 5 A ball around here will outdo anything you will see on a JUCO field. Yes, be professional at all times. Yes, JUCO coaches like to think they are in the big leagues. Yes, know your rules, especially the differences in the areas of substitution, conferences...etc.

EsqUmp Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 930797)

Is this any different than the other coaches we deal with?

Andy Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 931027)
..Yes, JUCO coaches like to think they are in the big leagues....

And I just thought this was unique to the JUCO league I work....:D