The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Reflective make-up (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97540-reflective-make-up.html)

Tex Wed Mar 19, 2014 09:33am

Reflective make-up

In a NFHS game, some of the girls wore a highly reflective and very glossy make-up. Could not find anything in the rule book or case book that addresses this subject. Any help here. Would also like to know how ASA, NCAA, and USSSA view this make-up.

RKBUmp Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:15am

Only reference I can find that comes close is 3-2-8. A uniform shall not have any dangerous or reflective buttons or ornaments.

Manny A Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19am

The only thing that really addresses distracting items is FED rule 3-2-9, and that limits what the pitcher can wear on her hand, wrist, arm or thighs. Case play 10.2.3C provides guidance for when a pitcher's hat falls off during her delivery and distracts the batter. That's what we can use to address other distracting items on the pitcher, such as reflective sunglasses.

So I suppose something could be done about the pitcher's make-up, if you really felt a need. But other players? Naah.

CecilOne Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 927682)
Would also like to know how ASA, NCAA, and USSSA view this make-up.

Unnoticed. :cool:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:11pm

Quote:

In a NFHS game, some of the girls wore a highly reflective and very glossy make-up. Could not find anything in the rule book or case book that addresses this subject. Any help here. Would also like to know how ASA, NCAA, and USSSA view this make-up.

They wouldn't. Who cares? It does not affect the game of softball, so why would it even be an issue?

Insane Blue Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17pm

Quote:

This past week our State Interpreter sent an E-mail on this topic.

"Here's a change in the previous use of eye black with glitter. It is LEGAL for the players to use eye black or other color that has glitter in it. NFHS has found no issues with the glitter causing a safety issue."

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 927728)
This past week our State Interpreter sent an E-mail on this topic.

"Here's a change in the previous use of eye black with glitter. It is LEGAL for the players to use eye black or other color that has glitter in it. NFHS has found no issues with the glitter causing a safety issue."

Uh oh, someone of an authoritative position gets it? They won't be there long! :)

Manny A Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

"It is LEGAL for the players to use eye black or other color that has glitter in it. NFHS has found no issues with the glitter causing a safety issue."

Safety issue? As in what? The possibility of glitter getting into the player's eyes? :eek:

Insane Blue Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 927736)
Safety issue? As in what? The possibility of glitter getting into the player's eyes? :eek:

You know how NFHS is some really bad rules when it comes to uniforms and adornments.

argodad Wed Mar 19, 2014 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 927729)
Uh oh, someone of an authoritative position gets it? They won't be there long! :)

We need a "LIKE" icon on the forum. :cool:

Manny A Wed Mar 19, 2014 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 927740)
You know how NFHS is some really bad rules when it comes to uniforms and adornments.

Tell me about it.

Seriously, the interpretation from your State Interpreter has nothing to do with something distracting an opposing player, as I read it.

And (s)he mentions a change to a previous interpretation? Did something come down from NFHS that prohibited eye black with glitter? I missed that memo. Good thing, too, because I might've hurt myself from laughing so hard.

nopachunts Wed Mar 19, 2014 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 927762)
And (s)he mentions a change to a previous interpretation? Did something come down from NFHS that prohibited eye black with glitter? I missed that memo. Good thing, too, because I might've hurt myself from laughing so hard.

It's almost a bad as a coach claiming the pitcher is distracting because one pants leg is up and one is down. If the batters are being distracted because of this, they need better coaching.

Skahtboi Wed Mar 19, 2014 08:26pm

Isn't this a case of trying to make an issue out of a non-issue?? :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 927793)
Isn't this a case of trying to make an issue out of a non-issue?? :rolleyes:

In softball? :eek:

Dakota Thu Mar 20, 2014 03:46pm

Quote:

...use of eye black with glitter...

Let's see... eye black is supposed to reduce glare. Glitter is reflective. Sigh... :rolleyes: