The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Slow Pitch Clinic (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97444-slow-pitch-clinic.html)

argodad Wed Mar 05, 2014 09:33pm

Slow Pitch Clinic

Hello Umpire Friends. Long time, no Forum. I took an internet sabbatical.

I've been asked to put on a short clinic for a college intramural program. I'm not a slow pitch umpire, but I figure I can handle this level. I have the ASA power points. What should I emphasize?

Particulars:
Men's games will use 2 umpires; women's will use 1; (no coed intramurals at this school).
ASA rules modified by some not-too-ridiculous league rules.
No stealing.

Missed you guys! :cool:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 925871)
Hello Umpire Friends. Long time, no Forum. I took an internet sabbatical.

I've been asked to put on a short clinic for a college intramural program. I'm not a slow pitch umpire, but I figure I can handle this level. I have the ASA power points. What should I emphasize?

Particulars:
Men's games will use 2 umpires; women's will use 1; (no coed intramurals at this school).
ASA rules modified by some not-too-ridiculous league rules.
No stealing.

Missed you guys! :cool:

Hi, Larry. Missed you around here.

Emphasize mechanics and positioning; getting to and setting up to get the best look at the play while being prepared for subsequent action; use of the holding zones and generally staying out of the middle of the play.

Strike zone and when an appeal is to be made as opposed to an automatic call by the umpire

argodad Thu Mar 06, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 925914)
Hi, Larry. Missed you around here.

Emphasize mechanics and positioning; getting to and setting up to get the best look at the play while being prepared for subsequent action; use of the holding zones and generally staying out of the middle of the play.

Strike zone and when an appeal is to be made as opposed to an automatic call by the umpire

Thanks Mike. I'm back now. Took some time off to work on a book. It went to the printers yesterday.

Andy Thu Mar 06, 2014 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 926010)
Thanks Mike. I'm back now. Took some time off to work on a book. It went to the printers yesterday.

You can't just leave that hanging.....

Details?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 926010)

That cannot be right. Do they still "print" books? :)

argodad Fri Mar 07, 2014 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 926018)
You can't just leave that hanging.....

Details?

I completed a project I've been messing with for about 7 years. Sea Stories: A Virtual Waste Basket of Random Memories will be available next month.

And yes, Mike, there are still a few print books out there. This one is mostly for fun ... 111 short stories from my 31 years in the Navy (including some from before and after the uniformed service). :cool: