The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I've been umping fastpitch for a few years now, and still am using some "starter" equipment. Wondering if anyone has recommendations on good, comfortable plate shoes, and, a lightweight mask. Do you have to buy the costly +POS to get a lighter mask? Thanks!!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TruBlu
Wondering if anyone has recommendations on good, comfortable plate shoes, and, a lightweight mask. Do you have to buy the costly +POS to get a lighter mask? Thanks!!
I wear Honig's plate shoes. They have served me well and are relatively economical. I'd recommend the high tops. For the mask, the composites are the lightest, but there are lightweight wire frame masks, too. They weigh much less than the heavy style, but more than the composites. But, they cost much less, too.

I recommend the Wilson West Vest single bar lightweight mask - costs about $50 with standard pads, a bit more with better pads.

Here is a link with one on-line source:
Lester Upstate Sports
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Riddell makes an affordable plate shoe called the "Arbiter." It has a metal toe and instep protection and can currently be purchased at http://www.stripesplus.com for 59.95 or something like that. I have heard lots of good things about the Wilson Dyna Light Pro mask, though I don't own one myself. It is a single bar, metal construction and is substantially less than the composite models in price. If you don't do a lot of tournaments, you will probably find that this mask more than fits the bill. However, you will probably hear from composite owners that there is nothing like a composite mask in this thread. I know many who own them that swear by them, though I will never own one because of a)price and b)I am not wild about the reduction in my field of vision.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, here's a link for Honig's.

And, welcome to the board!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I gotta say that I've used the + POS composite mask for two years and really like it. I've taken numerous direct hits with no problem. I agree that the field of vision is a little less but it's easy to get used to.

Also I started wearing the UMP style chest protector this year and it does a good job covering the shoulder/collarbone area.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

"if anyone has recommendations on good, comfortable plate shoes"

Well, this may bring a snicker or two, but my plate shoes are steel toe work shoes by Dickie. Wide, comfortable, made for working men and women standing on concrete 8 hours a day. No instep protector, but they have a lot of thick leather on top plus I have the instep protectors on my skin guards so my feet are well protected. $35 at local discount store.

My base shoes are black walking shoes by Dr Scholl, again wide comfortable, made to be walked in all day. Two pair, one looks like athletic shoe, the other can be worn to the office. $29.95

WMB

Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I only have 2 problems with your choice of plate shoe:

1) My leg guards don't have an instep protector, and
2) Is the tread aggressive enough?

For base shoes, I use a pair of Nike cleats (plastic cleats) that I have died the Nike swoosh black. Inexpensive & sure footed. I have a pair of black walking shoes, too, but I don't like the insecure feeling I get on wet grass.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I was in contact with +POS last week and currently they do not carry the composite mask. Evidently they are looking for a new supplier and will not have them back in stock until the end of the year or early next year.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA