The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   OH NO - HE SAID (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/9678-oh-no-he-said.html)

CecilOne Mon Aug 11, 2003 08:20am

LL Regional Final (HARDball) on TV last night.
Batter attempts bunt, ball hits bat and fingers.
The announcer says "THE HANDS ARE PART OF THE BAT, so it's a foul ball". :eek:

I also do not like the right uppercut (as in boxing) signal used by the PU on strikeouts or the red t-shirts under the umpire uniforms.

VaASAump Mon Aug 11, 2003 08:53am

Did anybody notice one of last nites regional game where the PU was wearing a red shirt and the BUs were wearing blue shirts? Thought the whole crew were supposed to be "uniformed".

MichaelVA2000 Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:56am

Shirts

I also noticed the plate umpire with the red shirt was numbered and the base umpires shirt's were not.

Michael

David Ruest Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:11am

Now you know why so many people believe that myth. I didn't see the play but it was probably called a strike if the batter was making an effort to bunt the ball. You'd think that annoncers would be familiar with the rule book. Then again, it's probably a former player and we all know that very few players actually read the rulebook!

mick Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:13am

Re: Shirts

Quote:

Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
I also noticed the plate umpire with the red shirt was numbered and the base umpires shirt's were not.

Michael

My friend and occasional umpin' partner, Sammy Fontecchio from the U.P., was wearing a blue shirt and workin' second. ;)

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:59am

Similar thread

is being discussed in the baseball forum.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/9680

Cecil, I also didn't like the red tee-shirts underneath the blue shirts. Didn't look good.

Red PU looked great. It's a good color when neither team is red.

:D

Dakota Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:15pm

Re: Similar thread

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Red PU looked great.
You wouldn't by any chance call utrip, would you?? ;)

VaASAump Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:55pm

Re: Re: Shirts

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
My friend and occasional umpin' partner, Sammy Fontecchio from the U.P., was wearing a blue shirt and workin' second. ;) [/B]
What is U.P.? Upper Peninsula??

LDUB Thu Aug 14, 2003 08:12pm

The plate umpire can wear whatever he wants to wear. Only the field umpires must match.

mick Thu Aug 14, 2003 08:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Shirts

Quote:

Originally posted by VaASAump
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
My friend and occasional umpin' partner, Sammy Fontecchio from the U.P., was wearing a blue shirt and workin' second. ;)
What is U.P.? Upper Peninsula?? [/B]
YU.P.per! :)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 15, 2003 05:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by LDUB
The plate umpire can wear whatever he wants to wear. Only the field umpires must match.
Then the crew wouldn't be very uniform, would they?

CecilOne Mon Aug 18, 2003 06:29am

get it right!

Hard to believe! I watched another LL game last night and the announcers explained why a runner was out for being assisted by a coach and called it OBSTRUCTION! Horrible call to begin with, they said the coach waving directions "nicked" the runner's shirt. But when you explain a rule instead of just living with it, you have to get it right.

Skahtboi Mon Aug 18, 2003 09:37am

But as announcers go, much like AA players, they think they ARE getting it right!

chris s Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:14am

Let me guess.....

Tim McCarver was the tv boy??????

CecilOne Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:24am

Re: Let me guess.....

Quote:

Originally posted by chris s
Tim McCarver was the tv boy??????
No, the game did end. Can you imagine Tim doing softball with only 10 seconds between pitches? Besides, we're talking LL budget.

OK, umpires, how much would you charge to sit in the booth and keep them straight?