The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

if a player from the other team influences an ump to change his call is that right?

here is the whole story of our game....

a player from the other team was running in to home and our catcher tagged her before she was even close to the base. the ump called her out and walked away. a player( not a coach) came up to ump and started talking to him. the ump came back and called the player safe. evednetly our catcher had dropped the ball after she was called out and everyone walked back to the dugout. is he allowed to do that?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

As in previous thread, an umpire may change his,or her mind. It is not something any of us want to do. It is embarrasing to call a tag out, and watch the ball roll from the fielders glove, and then to have to reverse your call. Yeah, that was me, fans and coaches were screaming, but I "influenced" myself to reverse call. In your case, I assume out was the correct call, (evidently the ball was dropped) its a tough call, but one you gotta live with, and I assure you, that umpire is not happy about it either.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

jel

but the umpire and both players walked away and then the ball was dropped
katee
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
if a player from the other team influences an ump to change his call is that right?

here is the whole story of our game....

a player from the other team was running in to home and our catcher tagged her before she was even close to the base. the ump called her out and walked away. a player( not a coach) came up to ump and started talking to him. the ump came back and called the player safe. evednetly our catcher had dropped the ball after she was called out and everyone walked back to the dugout. is he allowed to do that?
Based on the way you presented this situation, this is a HTBT (Had To Be There) situation. With all due respect, you were on the team that was affected by this call, so you might see things a little differently than what may have actually happened.

Even the best umpires kick a call once in a while and have to swallow some pride to change the call. However, most umpires want to get the call right regardless of how it became correct. I am always willing to listen to ANYONE on the team, player or coach, as long as they talk to me respectfully. If they notice my error and it is a correctable error, like a dropped ball, then I'll change the call.

Again, I don't know what happened, but it sounds like your umpire did the best they could to get the call correct.