The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/96165-interference.html)

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 26, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 906110)
Mike....now you know how I feel regarding the other play from that site....:)

Ah ... you must be the 2 base award on the ball that was bobbled by a fielder before going over a temporary fence guy. If so, yes, you were out on your own on that one.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Sep 26, 2013 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 906122)
Ah ... you must be the 2 base award on the ball that was bobbled by a fielder before going over a temporary fence guy. If so, yes, you were out on your own on that one.

You didn't know that? :rolleyes:

txtrooper Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 905997)
It's me against the world on another thread...

Runner on 3rd, count is 3-0. With a right handed batter, the next pitch is a ball wide outside, and it gets away from the catcher. The runner attempts to steal home, but the batter, upset about walking again, just stands in the box with a sour face. The catcher retrieves the ball and flips it to the pitcher as she comes in to cover the steal, but the batter still has one foot in the box as she's attempting to walk to first and the runner slides in safely around the batters foot. Call?

Hey Mike, does one foot in mean the other was out of the batters box? What did you rule? Would you have considered 8.2.F.3?

UmpireErnie Sun Sep 29, 2013 05:19pm

As stated by others this is a batter-runner not a batter. Nothing in the rules requires her to run immediately. There has to be some action by her that the umpire judges to be interference.

Did the throw from F2 merely contact the BR as she stood there being disgusted about walking? I probably have nothing, go get the ball, play on. No different from a runner advancing from 1B to 2B and being hit by a throw to the base in an attempt to make a play on her. Unless this runner does something to interfere (i.e. reaches out and knocks down the throw) this is just a bad throw go get the ball play on.

But if (in BUs judgement) the BR intentionally moves into the throw or steps into the throwing lane to screen F1 taking a throw from F2. Now you probably have INT.

As to OBS, if BR is impeded by F1 who does not yet have the ball then it would be OBS but as stated this does not absolve BR of being called for INT. It doesn't matter that she was an idiot for not advancing immediately she still has right of way over a defensive player without the ball.

The PU has to make a judgement call, was BR just trying to advance to 1B and was impeded by F1 or did she run into F1 to break up the play at the plate. Having a foot still in the box or a foot completely out of the bbox does not matter. Judgement.

txtrooper Sun Sep 29, 2013 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireErnie (Post 906392)
As stated by others this is a batter-runner not a batter. Nothing in the rules requires her to run immediately. There has to be some action by her that the umpire judges to be interference.

Did the throw from F2 merely contact the BR as she stood there being disgusted about walking? I probably have nothing, go get the ball, play on. No different from a runner advancing from 1B to 2B and being hit by a throw to the base in an attempt to make a play on her. Unless this runner does something to interfere (i.e. reaches out and knocks down the throw) this is just a bad throw go get the ball play on.

But if (in BUs judgement) the BR intentionally moves into the throw or steps into the throwing lane to screen F1 taking a throw from F2. Now you probably have INT.

As to OBS, if BR is impeded by F1 who does not yet have the ball then it would be OBS but as stated this does not absolve BR of being called for INT. It doesn't matter that she was an idiot for not advancing immediately she still has right of way over a defensive player without the ball.

The PU has to make a judgement call, was BR just trying to advance to 1B and was impeded by F1 or did she run into F1 to break up the play at the plate. Having a foot still in the box or a foot completely out of the bbox does not matter. Judgement.

According to ASA Rule 8, Section 2.F.3: When the batter-runner interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batters box the batter runner is out. The original post stated that only one foot was in the batters box and it is supported by rule as a factor that can be used in determining if the rules were violated.