The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Thank God the Season is Ending....

...because it is getting weirder as it winds down.

We have a small - 4 team coed league that we work on Sunday in Port Jervis, NY, which is right across the Delaware River from Pennsylvania . Its run by a DV in a wheelchair, who is there behind HP, keeping score, and helping you maintain order.

So to end his season, he decides to have a 'third place game', and then a best of three for the top two teams - the two 'good teams' in the league. So I worked games one and two on the plate. Game 1 of the 'final' was fine, the home team won, and it was fairly well played game. So for Game 2, me and partner changed , so I was on the bases. And the first game winner comes out smoking rockets all over the place. 5 in the 1st. Couple in the second. couple more in the 3rd. The home team/Game 1 loser can't get more than a base hit here and there. Finally in the 4th, leadoff batter hits a smash to 2B, and she can't handle it it goes into RF. The B kinda of slowed , and then stumbled right before 1b, planting his foot to go turn to 2nd. and pulls his foot OVER 1st, and goes to 2B without ever touching1B! As I had stopped to cover what I thought was a grounder, I ended up riming the runer to 2nd, thinking all the time, "PLEASE don't appeal, PLEASE!", knowing the s**t storm it will bring on. No such luck, the guys did not even hesitate to throw to 1B for the live appeal. So I called him out, and the R went, oddly enough, apes**t, immediately saying that I f*****g suck, so he got to leave early!

but it gets better

The league president decided to keep the mercy rule - ASA book 10 after 5 - for these games, so we are going into B5, visitors and game 1 winners up 12-1. Then it starts - base hit, out, out base hit - amI am thinking uh - oh, we might have work longer? Then all of a sudden, they are lining up - the spot in the lineup where the ejected player had been came up - third out, good game, have a nice winter.

You can't make this stuff up!

And yes they kept playing, as it was 10 person modified, and only went down to nine.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Asa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa/nyssoblue View Post
...because it is getting weirder as it winds down.

We have a small - 4 team coed league that we work on sunday in port jervis, ny, which is right across the delaware river from pennsylvania . Its run by a dv in a wheelchair, who is there behind hp, keeping score, and helping you maintain order.

So to end his season, he decides to have a 'third place game', and then a best of three for the top two teams - the two 'good teams' in the league. So i worked games one and two on the plate. Game 1 of the 'final' was fine, the home team won, and it was fairly well played game. So for game 2, me and partner changed , so i was on the bases. And the first game winner comes out smoking rockets all over the place. 5 in the 1st. Couple in the second. Couple more in the 3rd. The home team/game 1 loser can't get more than a base hit here and there. Finally in the 4th, leadoff batter hits a smash to 2b, and she can't handle it it goes into rf. The b kinda of slowed , and then stumbled right before 1b, planting his foot to go turn to 2nd. And pulls his foot over 1st, and goes to 2b without ever touching1b! as i had stopped to cover what i thought was a grounder, i ended up riming the runer to 2nd, thinking all the time, "please don't appeal, please!", knowing the s**t storm it will bring on. No such luck, the guys did not even hesitate to throw to 1b for the live appeal. So i called him out, and the r went, oddly enough, apes**t, immediately saying that i f*****g suck, so he got to leave early!

But it gets better

the league president decided to keep the mercy rule - asa book 10 after 5 - for these games, so we are going into b5, visitors and game 1 winners up 12-1. Then it starts - base hit, out, out base hit - ami am thinking uh - oh, we might have work longer? Then all of a sudden, they are lining up - the spot in the lineup where the ejected player had been came up - third out, good game, have a nice winter. :d

you can't make this stuff up!

and yes they kept playing, as it was 10 person modified, and only went down to nine.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Asa?
Yup
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Yup
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Was there a local rule that said teams could continue to play short-handed in the event of an ejection?
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Was there a local rule that said teams could continue to play short-handed in the event of an ejection?
As long as you don't go below 8 - most of our local leagues do that..
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Can hardly wait for fall ball!!!
I guess not until Sept 28, but maybe the 22nd.
(Will be away Sept 8 - 20).
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Can hardly wait for fall ball!!!
I guess not until Sept 28, but maybe the 22nd.
(Will be away Sept 8 - 20).
The only fall ball we have is a Fri/Sat league at this field a guy built at his 'farm'. The guy does landscaping/groundskeeping for schools and built this field literally next to a corn field - it has a right field that is about 160' from home - with a 50' mesh wall . And left field is about 300' He uses a Clincher, and games rarely last more than 1:20/1:40. And I might be assigning it....
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only fall ball we have is a Fri/Sat league at this field a guy built at his 'farm'. The guy does landscaping/groundskeeping for schools and built this field literally next to a corn field - it has a right field that is about 160' from home - with a 50' mesh wall . And left field is about 300' He uses a Clincher, and games rarely last more than 1:20/1:40. And I might be assigning it....
I hope you are talking about FP
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I hope you are talking about FP
ASA Modified A
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote: