The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Box Scores (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95647-box-scores.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 27, 2013 09:08pm

Box Scores

What is it with ASA and umpire recognition?

They go through the trouble of setting up and paying for these web site for tournaments, whether the WCOS or 18U Gold or whatever. These stat programs keep meticulous numbers on the game, but for some reason, ASA just will not include the umpires.

I don't get it. Is such a small task for provide little recognition for the umpire?

shagpal Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:04pm

Is that not part of official stats, the actual officials? In NCAA, all published box scores have that info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 900935)

They go through the trouble of setting up and paying for these web site for tournaments, whether the WCOS or 18U Gold or whatever. These stat programs keep meticulous numbers on the game, but for some reason, ASA just will not include the umpires.

I don't get it. Is such a small task for provide little recognition for the umpire?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 28, 2013 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900943)
Is that not part of official stats, the actual officials? In NCAA, all published box scores have that info.

Yeah, well, in all fairness to ASA on this part, the NCAA doesn't provide that information, they just have a rule forcing the host schools to gather and provide such information under penalties that probably includes administrative and possibly financial penalties.

The have much bigger pockets and more resources and a much heavier hand in running what is basically a private enterprise that answers only to themselves.

IOW, it is a comparison of two species with only one common gene between them.

shagpal Sun Jul 28, 2013 05:43pm

It seems it wouldn't cost anymore to save that info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 900962)
Yeah, well, in all fairness to ASA on this part, the NCAA doesn't provide that information, they just have a rule forcing the host schools to gather and provide such information under penalties that probably includes administrative and possibly financial penalties.

The have much bigger pockets and more resources and a much heavier hand in running what is basically a private enterprise that answers only to themselves.

IOW, it is a comparison of two species with only one common gene between them.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 28, 2013 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 901011)
It seems it wouldn't cost anymore to save that info.

If the tournament had that ability. Not all 100+ national tournaments have the ability (including hardware and software) to save, track and publish all the information they do at the higher level tournaments. How many does the NCAA run?

But when and where it is available, there is no reason they cannot be included.

Dakota Mon Jul 29, 2013 03:51pm

You mention genetics... What's the point of listing the umpires? I thought clones were genetically identical.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/ho...y-emoticon.gif

:D

Manny A Wed Jul 31, 2013 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 900935)

I guess they want to perpetuate the philosophy that umpires should not be noticed... :(

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 901307)
I guess they want to perpetuate the philosophy that umpires should not be noticed... :(

There is a Commissioner Emeritus that believes our state softball HOF needs to stop electing people with an umpiring background. TOO MANY UMPIRES, he insists.

http://forum.umpiringsoftball.com/im...es/soapbox.gif
When you talk to people in the game, many believe the umpires control the game, the code and the rules which is far from the truth, HOWEVER, what is true is that many involved in the game from TD to council rep, whether commissioner, JO rep, player rep, senior/master rep, etc. have had some connection to umpiring in their resume.

The question is why and I believe I know the answer. It is because parents, coaches and players come and go and many move on to other sports/activities when they or their child ages out of the youth program or finds something else to do.

The umpires are usually involved in the game for one of two reasons: the money or the game. Sometimes both, but those in it for the game usually stay in it even beyond their umpiring days simply because they enjoy participating in the sport in some manner.

When the Elite program first appeared to off-set the ISF program and give ASA another source of income, HP stated that on the hats for ASA/USA Elite they were going to change the word on the edge of the brim from "Elite" to "Umpire". Though I don't know who else would be an ASA/USA Elite individual, umpire is not noted on the hat. This past year someone asked KR if that was ever going to happen and his response was something to the effect of, "no, we have enough problems, we don't need to advertise we are umpires". While I understand that point when a spectator at a tournament or game, I do not buy it in general. If you are a good umpire and assuming reaching that level you are, why should we not be proud of being an umpire?

Long story to a point that over the past decade or so, the manner in which the umpires have been treated by many organizations is as a second class citizen. However, in ASA fees have been increased 3 times during that period. For those increased fees, the umpire has seen a 50% reduction in the level of liability insurance and more limited parameters of application along with more options and costs in uniform and equipment.

The "umpire" has been taken from a tradesman status to a commodity and that, IMO, is diminishing the willingness to support and participate at the higher levels, willingness to pay for training that should come for nothing, and in the long run, professionalism on and off the field.

If some association do not start showing their appreciation to the umpire, what they have left will eventually do irreparable harm to the integrity of their particular program.