The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Men's "A" Slow pitch... Ridgeland Mississippi.

Just a tad disappointed that it's not at the HOF Stadium, but not disappointed enough to think that it won't be a good time.

should be a blast.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be at the Women's C/D Northern in Watertown, SD.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I looked at the website for the Sunnyvale 16A tournament. There are 138 teams and I think the umpire roster is at 74.

I have a question on the "regional" aspect of the tournaments. There are several teams from what I'd consider outside the western region. Many from Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, Ohio.

Obviously, teams from anywhere can participate in the tournament. Does a team just need to pay the entry fee to get in, or is there a requirement that they've won a state or regional tournament somewhere along the way.

Thanx.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I looked at the website for the Sunnyvale 16A tournament. There are 138 teams and I think the umpire roster is at 74.

I have a question on the "regional" aspect of the tournaments. There are several teams from what I'd consider outside the western region. Many from Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, Ohio.

Obviously, teams from anywhere can participate in the tournament. Does a team just need to pay the entry fee to get in, or is there a requirement that they've won a state or regional tournament somewhere along the way.

Thanx.
Can't answer your question...but On Tuesday they cut 12 umpires, including two friends of mine. Then this morning they added them back. Just a FYI.

I'll be hanging out there next Thursday.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Spent the week with some girls from PA that are playing in the 16's in Sunnyvale. They have played 18's and Gold all year except the state and qualifier. They are looking forward to the challenge and if they are 1/3 as good as their practice shows them to be, they will be contenders.

They are also hard workers when dragging and relining a field, on a completely side note.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Spent the week with some girls from PA that are playing in the 16's in Sunnyvale. They have played 18's and Gold all year except the state and qualifier. They are looking forward to the challenge and if they are 1/3 as good as their practice shows them to be, they will be contenders.

They are also hard workers when dragging and relining a field, on a completely side note.
And some of the do a great job driving umpires in a golf cart to fields that are half mile from each other.

Good to see you this week.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Nice working with you all in Newtown, PA this week. It was good to have a Nationals in my own backyard, & look forward to Sterling, VA next week with the big girls...
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

First and Foremost, I am jealous that you were given a ride when I had to walk everywhere.

It was great working with both of you and I look forward to working more with you in Sterling Joe. I will be taking a much more active role in Sterling as I will be assigned a complex and not have to drive to as many as I could cover each day.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First and Foremost, I am jealous that you were given a ride when I had to walk everywhere.

It was great working with both of you and I look forward to working more with you in Sterling Joe. I will be taking a much more active role in Sterling as I will be assigned a complex and not have to drive to as many as I could cover each day.
Hey, at least you didn't have to get suited up...three different times...
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you think the hotel could have been any farther from the fields?
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 01:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I've just returned from the 18U Gold in Clearwater, FL.

It was a great learning experience for me, being a relative rookie compared to the vast majority of umpires who were there. Each umpire I talked to had worked many previous Nationals, to include a few Gold, and also have a number of years of NCAA ball under their belts. This was only my third National.

As expected, executing ASA's three-man mechanics was a pretty significant learning curve for me. For those not aware, every game was played with three-man. In my other qualifiers and Nationals, two-man was the norm until we got to the semifinals. I can probably count on two hands how often I've done ASA three-man. Most of my three-man experience comes from high school tournaments.

So when I wasn't on the field, I spent a lot of time watching the other crews and eavesdropping on their evaluator critiques. What I saw and heard was invaluable to me. It was an honor and pleasure to work the Gold with a terrific crew of umpires, and to learn from a tremendous UIC staff.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've just returned from the 18U Gold in Clearwater, FL.

It was a great learning experience for me, being a relative rookie compared to the vast majority of umpires who were there.

So when I wasn't on the field, I spent a lot of time watching the other crews and eavesdropping on their evaluator critiques. What I saw and heard was invaluable to me. It was an honor and pleasure to work the Gold with a terrific crew of umpires, and to learn from a tremendous UIC staff.
Listening and learning......nice job on your part.
Glad to hear that the tournament went well for you.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go Manny!!!! I have a friend who was down there but I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet!

Being selected for 18U Gold's is quite the honor my man!
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Just arrived today for ASA 18u class B western national in Salem, Oregon.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 01:37am
Call it as I see it.

Just getting back from Sunnyvale had a blast. Met some real cool umpires and a few knuckle heads.
To those that got hurt and could not continue you are in my prayers and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I think everyone learned something and came away even better umpires than when they arrived.

Shane

Last edited by Insane Blue; Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 02:43am.