The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

HELP: I am compiling a survey on 4 Player Safety issues:[1] pitchers getting hit by batted balls; [2]Head injuries by batters, despite "legal" helmets (Refer to Sammy Sosa's helmet exploding when he got hit);[3]wrecks at 1st base when runner,fielder and ball arrive at the same time (your opinion: would flap extension on 1st base help?)[4] wrecks at first base because runner does not use the 3-foot running lane. Please forward play situations involving any such incidents plus your views on the subjects. Pointing me to references or information would be appreciated.

Are thee other player-safety issues of concern to you? Any umpire-saafety issues? Refer to #1: with speed and power of girls today, do you think disatance from mond-to-plate should be increased to college specs?. Refer to [3] bang-bang playes at first are about 2.5 times that of baseball; the girls are now so athletic that wrecks at first are a growing concern.
Thanks. Pat O'Reilly [email protected]
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oreillywv
HELP: I am compiling a survey on 4 Player Safety issues:[1] pitchers getting hit by batted balls; [2]Head injuries by batters, despite "legal" helmets (Refer to Sammy Sosa's helmet exploding when he got hit);[3]wrecks at 1st base when runner,fielder and ball arrive at the same time (your opinion: would flap extension on 1st base help?)[4] wrecks at first base because runner does not use the 3-foot running lane. Please forward play situations involving any such incidents plus your views on the subjects. Pointing me to references or information would be appreciated.

Are thee other player-safety issues of concern to you? Any umpire-saafety issues? Refer to #1: with speed and power of girls today, do you think disatance from mond-to-plate should be increased to college specs?. Refer to [3] bang-bang playes at first are about 2.5 times that of baseball; the girls are now so athletic that wrecks at first are a growing concern.
Thanks. Pat O'Reilly [email protected]
With all due respect, your subjects above seem to be from an uninformed (at least in the softball world) source.

[1] This has been addressed in quite a few different manners over the past 6 years by ASA and other sanctioning bodies. Adjustments continue on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the pitcher is in the field and there just isn't any other way to play the game.

[2] Sosa's bat exploded, too. Helmets are not, and never will be, an absolute in protection.

[3]&[4] ASA has been using a double-base for quite a few years now. It has reduced some collisions at 1B. I don't believe the 3' lane has anything to do with additional collisions at 1B as most times a collision at 1B is a result the defender not knowing the proper mechanics or methods in which to play the position.

Defenders need to learn that they only need the inside edge of 1B and there is NEVER any cause to place their foot on top of the bag, let alone in the center.

If they are set properly to receive a throw from another player, they can easily reach and catch an off-line throw without ever leaving fair territory.

Unfortunately, players are rarely taught the proper mechanic to receive a throw at 1B. It seems that it is also rare for the defender to leave the base to save a possible overthrow. By attempting to "hold the bag" with their pivot foot, many end unnecessarily putting themselves in the runner's path.

Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oreillywv
Are thee other player-safety issues of concern to you?
I recently read a paragraph about a college player that was stretching a double into a triple. The runner executed a hard head first slide into the base just as the ball arrived.

"Safe!"

As the player was standing up and brushing off, the coach asked her if she was okay. Apparently not realizing the male umpire could overhear, the player said, "I think I scaped off my nipples."

Y'all continue with the review of other safety issues. I'm running over to Clemson this week-end to look into the nipple situation.