The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lincoln, CA (Near Sacramento)
Posts: 150
Adult-Children Wreck Ball

ASA - Home team at bat down by 4 runs with 2 outs and 30 seconds to go on clock. Their current batter chooses to strike out intentionally so they get an extra inning by beating the clock. They're within the rules. Innings over and I call "one more inning". Of course visitors have a hissy and a squalling big time about chickens__t play and no ones does that stuff ever. It escalates when teams are changing positions and I've got 14 to 16 guys on field all barking at each other. Visiting pitcher (biggest hissyfitter) who was almost in dugout comes back on field, throws is helmet and confronts the opposing shortstop cuz he's barking back. He shoves shortstop. Now everyone is really animated and yelling. I want no part of another inning of this crap and simply say...."Game's over". Both teams behaving badly was my thought.

I'm a one man crew, 70 years old and not about to get into a 14-16 man hassle on the field and I know it ain't gonna subside if I toss anyone and play on. It's just going to get worse.

Hindsight, I could have and probably should have tossed the pitcher guilty of shoving but at that point it was a real "bruhaha" and I didn't want to work the extra inning of what I perceived was going to be nonsense and potentially more of the same barking.

I don't know if I'm looking for validation but what would you guys have done given working single man and a real scary situation about to happen?
__________________
Wish I'da umped before I played. What a difference it would'a made!

Last edited by Linknblue; Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 04:03pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Gulf Coast of TX to Destin Fl
Posts: 988
Walked away....wrote a report and let the league handle it.

JMHO.

Joel
__________________
Never argue with idiots...they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf coast blue View Post
walked away....wrote a report and let the league handle it.

Jmho.

Joel
+1
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf coast blue View Post
walked away....wrote a report and let the league handle it.

Jmho.

Joel
+2
__________________
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Chris Z.
Detroit/SE Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Myers FL
Posts: 600
Probably the smartest option available. Hope the league/organization has a strong "hammer" to deal with such behavior. It's things like that that had me leave my "adult" softball career.
__________________
Keep everything in front of you
and have fun out there !!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
First off is to remember adult rec is wreck. ASA = babysitting. If you accept the game, you will be babysitting. Accept that fact, or don't accept the game.

Second, you must remember the art of war, when the concubines were told to line up and they giggled, two were beheaded right there, and asked again to line up, and they all did immediately.

The proper thing is to eject any player that touches another player first. Then any player that belongs in the dugout not in the dugout gets ejected. Then get names and details of all those ejected before continuing. If there is not enuff players after your ejection, you have your forfeit.

It prolly sounds like you would have had a double forfeit anyways, you just took a short cut which may or may not come back on you.

The league will handle it, they gotta. You are not supposed to babysit them, but with ASA, there's some expectation. You just have to remember to take down names and details in the future to cover yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
First off is to remember adult rec is wreck. ASA = babysitting. If you accept the game, you will be babysitting. Accept that fact, or don't accept the game.

Second, you must remember the art of war, when the concubines were told to line up and they giggled, two were beheaded right there, and asked again to line up, and they all did immediately.

The proper thing is to eject any player that touches another player first. Then any player that belongs in the dugout not in the dugout gets ejected. Then get names and details of all those ejected before continuing. If there is not enuff players after your ejection, you have your forfeit.

It prolly sounds like you would have had a double forfeit anyways, you just took a short cut which may or may not come back on you.

The league will handle it, they gotta. You are not supposed to babysit them, but with ASA, there's some expectation. You just have to remember to take down names and details in the future to cover yourself.
That is one of the dumbest posts I've seen recently. WTF does this have to do with ASA?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
READ, OP first words are ASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That is one of the dumbest posts I've seen recently. WTF does this have to do with ASA?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
READ, OP first words are ASA
I believe his point is that this is a rec league (i.e. city/town) issue, and that ASA has nothing to do with any of it. ASA doesn't expect anyone to "babysit." Rec league directors may, but ASA doesn't. ASA simply codifies the sport, and then for "championship play" only (technically). They have nothing to do with how local leagues are run, nor, I suspect, do they want to.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 12:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
ASA - Home team at bat down by 4 runs with 2 outs and 30 seconds to go on clock. Their current batter chooses to strike out intentionally so they get an extra inning by beating the clock. They're within the rules. Innings over and I call "one more inning". Of course visitors have a hissy and a squalling big time about chickens__t play and no ones does that stuff ever. It escalates when teams are changing positions and I've got 14 to 16 guys on field all barking at each other. Visiting pitcher (biggest hissyfitter) who was almost in dugout comes back on field, throws is helmet and confronts the opposing shortstop cuz he's barking back. He shoves shortstop. Now everyone is really animated and yelling. I want no part of another inning of this crap and simply say...."Game's over". Both teams behaving badly was my thought.

I'm a one man crew, 70 years old and not about to get into a 14-16 man hassle on the field and I know it ain't gonna subside if I toss anyone and play on. It's just going to get worse.

Hindsight, I could have and probably should have tossed the pitcher guilty of shoving but at that point it was a real "bruhaha" and I didn't want to work the extra inning of what I perceived was going to be nonsense and potentially more of the same barking.

I don't know if I'm looking for validation but what would you guys have done given working single man and a real scary situation about to happen?
How would I have handled this? Likely the same as you did. I would be keeping track of which players were doing what during the incident and written a full and complete report with as much detail as possible about the incident. In that report I am indicating that had the game not been ended player X (pitcher would have been out for throwing his helmet and aggressive contact to an opponent). I likely also would have included that the SS would also have been ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct as well because of his barking at the opposing pitcher. I would not each player who was involved. The reason is simple.

Why do that? The league could rule a couple different ways on this. They could rule both teams conduct in violation of league policies and issue a double forfeit of the game because it was ended by an umpire. They could rule the game over and the score as official at that point, of they could (if they have no support for the umpires, rule the game be continued). If they rule the game to be continued, you have an argument that these players should be considered ejected and would have been had the conduct not prevented them from being notified of the ejection. In a situation like this I am getting away from the action ASAP and watching from a distance. If the league decides to continue the game, those players would be barred from continuing in the game due to being ejected.

I rarely have had fights in contests I worked. I had a flag football game while in college that a fight broke out in. Of a 5 man crew, 4 officials jumped into the pile to break it up. I stayed back, watched everything happen, and wrote down names and numbers of those involved in the action. I ended up needing that information as a school police officer was watching the game and actually arrested a couple people. I ended up needing to provide a report for the school judicial committee when he was brought up on school charges.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
READ, OP first words are ASA
The local league is using ASA rules, and the teams and league may even be ASA sanctioned under the state or metro ASA commissioner.

However, all of the kinds of issues described by the OP are due to the local teams and local leagues. ASA, as an organization, has nothing to do with how local rec leagues are run.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 372
How convenient, but I don't buy it. Its either ASA sanctioned or its not, and you talking out of both sides of your mouth on behalf of the OP as to which is not helping.

ASA is a ruleset, but umpires are required to be ASA registered, wear official gear ASA uniforms, umpires, teams, and leagues are required to register and buy ASA Bollinger insurance, bat checks must have ASA stamps and not on the banned bat list. To distance from the ASA is a cop out.

the ASA has become a rules committee, liability police, and umpire apparel and gear hawker. All the talented SP players are off utripping and all the good FP teams are off playing showcases and premier. All the upper level umpires have traded in their ASA gear for better pay, better games, and less politics and no more "cry baby ball" elsewhere.

The ASA is where amateurs start playing and umpiring, and remain when there is no place to advance, and the talking heads are usually the later. If an umpire wants to excel at routine professional babysitting, the ASA is the place to be.

Do yourself and the OP a favor, do a search here or on any forum. Nearly all these SP adult baby behavior posts are ASA games, plain and simple. If you want to help the ASA and the OP, man up and answer his question directly, not hide to comment on mine. OP is wearing ASA blue, is 70yo calling single man, and came here for help, because quite honestly, he probably ain't getting it where he calls his own ASA assoc home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The local league is using ASA rules, and the teams and league may even be ASA sanctioned under the state or metro ASA commissioner.

However, all of the kinds of issues described by the OP are due to the local teams and local leagues. ASA, as an organization, has nothing to do with how local rec leagues are run.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:19pm
Call it as I see it.
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
How convenient, but I don't buy it. Its either ASA sanctioned or its not, and you talking out of both sides of your mouth on behalf of the OP as to which is not helping.

ASA is a ruleset, but umpires are required to be ASA registered, wear official gear ASA uniforms, umpires, teams, and leagues are required to register and buy ASA Bollinger insurance, bat checks must have ASA stamps and not on the banned bat list. To distance from the ASA is a cop out.

the ASA has become a rules committee, liability police, and umpire apparel and gear hawker. All the talented SP players are off utripping and all the good FP teams are off playing showcases and premier. All the upper level umpires have traded in their ASA gear for better pay, better games, and less politics and no more "cry baby ball" elsewhere.

The ASA is where amateurs start playing and umpiring, and remain when there is no place to advance, and the talking heads are usually the later. If an umpire wants to excel at routine professional babysitting, the ASA is the place to be.

Do yourself and the OP a favor, do a search here or on any forum. Nearly all these SP adult baby behavior posts are ASA games, plain and simple. If you want to help the ASA and the OP, man up and answer his question directly, not hide to comment on mine. OP is wearing ASA blue, is 70yo calling single man, and came here for help, because quite honestly, he probably ain't getting it where he calls his own ASA assoc home.
Dude get a clue about local leagues. Leagues are not run by A.S.A. Leagues are run by local associations and or parks, using A.S.A. rules.

A.S.A. only handles Championship Play Tournaments District All Stars Championships (B teams) through Nationals and Travel teams (A / Gold) Starting at the State level through Nationals. A.S.A. also is in charge of Team U.S.A. and American I.S.F.

Here in So Cal most Adult leagues are governed by S.C.M.A.F. rules
__________________
"I couldn't see well enough to play when I was a boy, so they gave me a special job - they made me an umpire." - President of the United States Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
A.S.A. only handles Championship Play Tournaments District All Stars Championships (B teams) through Nationals and Travel teams (A / Gold) Starting at the State level through Nationals. A.S.A. also is in charge of Team U.S.A. and American I.S.F.
Actually, ASA is a member of ISF as the NGB of softball.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:53pm
Call it as I see it.
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, ASA is a member of ISF as the NGB of softball.
Thanks for the proper status
__________________
"I couldn't see well enough to play when I was a boy, so they gave me a special job - they made me an umpire." - President of the United States Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wreck Ball- How do you guys do it? VaTerp Basketball 22 Tue Feb 22, 2011 08:06pm
Wherever children gather, idiots will hover Back In The Saddle Basketball 12 Wed Dec 15, 2010 05:34am
Pitching Mechanics / Illegal Pitches / Teaching Children Properly From Day 1 LoRafter Softball 24 Mon Mar 23, 2009 09:39am
Wreck ball... Bearfanmike20 Basketball 53 Tue Feb 26, 2008 08:25pm
Men's "wreck" ball interference tiger49 Baseball 2 Mon Jul 14, 2003 08:04pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1