The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

One of those nights

Scheduled to work 4 co-rec SP games last night in our local league. Arrive for the first game and one team is ready, the other has only 2 females (league rules required minimum of 3 to start). Start game clock (1:15 time limit), at scheduled time, allow 10 minute grace period (league rule), befor declaring the game a forfeit.

The second game starts, and we are down to 32 minutes left when thunder is heard and lightening seen. That ends game 2.

Game 3 is going only well (8 on 8) until the bottom of the 4th. One team, on defense is playing 5 guys 3 girls. A ball is hit to LF. Left fielder throws to 2nd attempting to get the force. Ball bounces off the tip of the glove and hits the 2nd baseperson right in the mouth, causing the immediate gushing of blood. She immediately takes off with her BF to the ER. This leaves the team with 2 girls, so we end this game early.

Game 4 is going great through 4 innings. As the top of the 5th is ready to start, the sprinkler system goes off in the outfield. Now we have a delay while I got get the site supervisor. As i'm walking to the parking lot where he sits in his car, I noticed the sky is lighting up as storms blow in. With 29 minutes left we end this game.

What a strange and screwed up night. Spent an hour doing paperwork after the game due to the strange occurrances of the night. At least the lights did not go out on us like happened the previous week.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

What a strange and screwed up night. Spent an hour doing paperwork after the game due to the strange occurrances of the night. At least the lights did not go out on us like happened the previous week.[/QUOTE]

I am wondering what paperwork takes an hour. Here we would put it in the game report in Arbiter and that would be it.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

At least you got paid !
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
What a strange and screwed up night. Spent an hour doing paperwork after the game due to the strange occurrances of the night. At least the lights did not go out on us like happened the previous week.
Quote:
I am wondering what paperwork takes an hour. Here we would put it in the game report in Arbiter and that would be it.
Paperwork? That's why there is a league coordinator. Barring an ejection, when the game is done, so am I. If there is an ejection, it is a 30 second phone call to a message machine.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jun 14, 2013 at 11:49am.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Wondering about the paperwork too. Seems that even if some paperwork is required for whatever bizarre reason, the note written to start this post would suffice.

Or better yet:
Game 1 - X vs Y - Game forfeited after 10 minute grace period as Team Y only had 2 females.
Game 2 - A vs B - game suspended with (game situation) due to lightning.
Game 3 - C vs D - game forfeited with (game situation) when Team D female left mid-game leaving them with 2 females and only 6 total players).
Game 4 - E vs F - game suspended with (game situation) due to lightning.

PS - "lightening" is when something goes from dark to lighter. Lightning is weather.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I could make it last an hour, or even 4 hours, if I was at the local sports bar making the report .........
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I could make it last an hour, or even 4 hours, if I was at the local sports bar making the report .........
nah, might be too many softball players and coaches there
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Paperwork? That's why there is a league coordinator. Barring an ejection, when the game is done, so am I. If there is an ejection, it is a 30 second phone call to a message machine.
The biggest reason for the paperwork was I had to "right" (for you MD), the information down before I left so I could then write and email to the league supervisor of officials on a computer that absolutely SUCKS. I always write the information down prior to leaving the facility in a notebook, so when I actually file the report I have the information in front of me.

We are required to submit information in writing to the league for ANY unusual circumstances such as forfeits, serious injuries. It can either be via email or on a paper submitted to the league office. I ALWAYS do it via email just so I have a record of what was written and when it was sent. It is just another way to cover my arse in case someone has a problem with an event and decides to challenge it. Unfortunately I live in an area that is well populated by lawyers and a rather large law school that is spewing more out each year.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I never said there weren't other things making the reporting take somewhat longer than it should have.