The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

minor A (7 year old) softball rule

Here is the deal. We have played a whole season and now are down to our season finale. The other team has stacked all their girls infield the entire season (9 girls) and not assigned correct positions. My team has played the whole season with our girls in the correct positions. Is there a rule of how many girls can play infield or are they required to play the correct positions?
This is 7 year old Minor A girls. Any info would help. Game is 6 days away
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

LL doesn't post their rules on line, so there may be some odd rule in the 7-year old class that applies here...

But generally, no, there are no rules about where players play on the field, with the exception of pitcher and catcher, and the fact that players must be positioned in fair territory.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I was hoping for some sort of rule. It doesn't seem fair to build a wall of 9 girls to stop the ball. Thanks anyway
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Not sure what might not be fair... both teams play under the same set of rules. That said, I wouldn't take my statement to the bank just yet. There are some LL gurus that know more than I about the lower level rules (which may differ from the norm).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:09am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEP239 View Post
I was hoping for some sort of rule. It doesn't seem fair to build a wall of 9 girls to stop the ball. Thanks anyway
I've done a few 12U rec league games where the house rules limit the number of fielders on the dirt. So you may want to check if your league has a similar restriction.

Otherwise, you're outta luck. If you're talking Little League, rule 4.03 states that fielders other than the pitcher and catcher may be stationed anywhere in fair territory, as Mike mentioned.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEP239 View Post
Here is the deal. We have played a whole season and now are down to our season finale. The other team has stacked all their girls infield the entire season (9 girls) and not assigned correct positions. My team has played the whole season with our girls in the correct positions. Is there a rule of how many girls can play infield or are they required to play the correct positions?
This is 7 year old Minor A girls. Any info would help. Game is 6 days away
Rule 4.03 Little League says that all players, except the catcher shall be in fair territory. The catcher has to be in the catcher's box.

That's all there is.

And it's minors. Who cares. Just have fun.

Rita