The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Games cancelled... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95076-games-cancelled.html)

UmpireErnie Fri May 17, 2013 05:30pm

Games cancelled...

Wah!!!

My three high school games are cancelled today because of......

(wait for it..)

SNOW! :(

Guess I'll have to survive on beer and NCAA ball on TV. :D

Dutch Alex Sun May 19, 2013 04:27pm

Where do you call your games? Is it in the Himalaya?

Then you have Big Foot on 1st base and the Dala Lama as Home Run King...:D

UmpireErnie Sun May 19, 2013 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 894809)
Where do you call your games? Is it in the Himalaya?

Then you have Big Foot on 1st base and the Dala Lama as Home Run King...:D

LOL

Actually I am in Anchorage, Alaska. It's been a freaky late spring with these late snows.. but today is severe clear and hitting the 50s (F) so the snow is gone (again) and hopefully we will be playing ball tomorrow (no school ball on Sunday too bad today would be nice).

Manny A Mon May 20, 2013 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireErnie (Post 894812)
Actually I am in Anchorage, Alaska. It's been a freaky late spring with these late snows..

It's been a freaky late spring everywhere.

I umpired a HS game last Monday (May 13) here in the Washington DC metro area where the temps were in the low 50s with a pretty biting wind. I had to dig out my thermal wear and jacket from the bottom of my uni's bag to do the bases. There were fans wrapped up in blankets as if it was a preseason scrimmage game, and this was the last game of the regular season for both teams.

That night, we had freeze warnings in the area. I heard on the news this morning that because of those temps a week ago, 20% of the Virginia grape crop was damaged by frost, which will affect wine production this year.

Of course, that only means that when I'm working ASA games this summer, it will be in the 100s with smoking humidity... :(

UmpireErnie Mon May 20, 2013 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 894863)
There were fans wrapped up in blankets as if it was a preseason scrimmage game...

Last season I was doing a game on Kodiak Island..visiting team had just a head coach so a student was coaching on the 1B side. It was in the 40s and spitting rain and windy.

One inning she comes out to stand in coaches box wrapped in a blanket. I told her unless she had blankets for me and my partner she had to put her blanket back in the dugout! If we had to suffer thru that game she had to also! :D

MD Longhorn Mon May 20, 2013 05:09pm

Wonder how many games out there are getting cancelled due to tornado.

Wonder if the CWS is in any jeopardy at this point. Moore is only 20 minutes south of the stadium.

Jake26 Mon May 20, 2013 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 894898)
Wonder how many games out there are getting cancelled due to tornado.

Wonder if the CWS is in any jeopardy at this point. Moore is only 20 minutes south of the stadium.

Oklahoma high schools play fall softball, so that will not be an issue. But OU is hosting a Super Regional this week, and Norman is just south of Moore.