The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Overthrow during a walk (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95054-overthrow-during-walk.html)

chuck chopper Thu May 16, 2013 11:40am

Overthrow during a walk

B/r is walked and 1/2 way down 1st base line when a pick off attempt at 3B happens. B1 runs for home and F5's throw F2 goes out of play. I assume b/r is awarded 2nd base, but just wanted to make sure we don't consider her already "owning" 1st and thus she gets 3rd.

AtlUmpSteve Thu May 16, 2013 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck chopper (Post 894469)
B/r is walked and 1/2 way down 1st base line when a pick off attempt at 3B happens. B1 runs for home and F5's throw F2 goes out of play. I assume b/r is awarded 2nd base, but just wanted to make sure we don't consider her already "owning" 1st and thus she gets 3rd.

Awards are always made from the physical location at the time of the throw. Ownership/entitlement isn't a factor.

CecilOne Thu May 16, 2013 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck chopper (Post 894469)

Wherever the runner actually was at time of throw

MD Longhorn Thu May 16, 2013 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 894473)
Wherever the runner actually was at time of throw

Chuck ... remember this one line - it covers even the very weird scenarios like a runner between 2nd and 3rd heading back to 1st because she left WAY early. 2 bases (forward) from where they were when the ball was thrown. And don't let coaches talk you out of it.

shipwreck Thu May 16, 2013 02:39pm

Makes me wonder why B/R was lolly gagging to first? Half way to first, then a pick off attempt at third, then try for runner going home and then ball goes out of play. Come on, pick up the plow. Dave

MD Longhorn Thu May 16, 2013 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 894502)
Makes me wonder why B/R was lolly gagging to first? Half way to first, then a pick off attempt at third, then try for runner going home and then ball goes out of play. Come on, pick up the plow. Dave

He didn't say anything about lollygagging. I'm pretty sure any good team can throw the ball from catcher to F5 and back to catcher (and even OOP) faster than a normal runner can get from "halfway to first" to first base, even if the runner was running all out.

shipwreck Thu May 16, 2013 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 894506)
He didn't say anything about lollygagging. I'm pretty sure any good team can throw the ball from catcher to F5 and back to catcher (and even OOP) faster than a normal runner can get from "halfway to first" to first base, even if the runner was running all out.

He also didn't say anything about a good team.