The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   runner interference on throw (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95040-runner-interference-throw.html)

rbmartin Wed May 15, 2013 09:23am

runner interference on throw

FED rules. Bases loaded. 2 outs. Grounder hit to F6. F6 fields the ball cleanly and as she comes up to throw, R2 runs into her (no tag or attempt to tag occurs here) causing a hesitation and late throw to 1st.

Ruling please.

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2013 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 894239)
FED rules. Bases loaded. 2 outs. Grounder hit to F6. F6 fields the ball cleanly and as she comes up to throw, R2 runs into her (no tag or attempt to tag occurs here) causing a hesitation and late throw to 1st.

Ruling please.

INT, but hard to visualize " R2 runs into her (no tag"

MD Longhorn Wed May 15, 2013 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 894240)
INT, but hard to visualize " R2 runs into her (no tag"

Agree on the unlikelihood of no tag... but assuming no tag, based on what rule would you rule interference?

TwoBits Wed May 15, 2013 09:36am

8-6-10c: The runner is out when the runner interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball.

rbmartin Wed May 15, 2013 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 894241)
Agree on the unlikelihood of no tag... but assuming no tag, based on what rule would you rule interference?

I was standing 8 feet away from the play...there was definately not a tag nor an attemped tag.

If INT on throw, delayed dead ball or immediate?

MD Longhorn Wed May 15, 2013 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 894251)
I was standing 8 feet away from the play...there was definately not a tag nor an attemped tag.

I think what Cecil and I were alluding to is that it would not require an attempted tag to have actually had an inadvertent tag here. Not impossible .... just strange.

Quote:

Immediate.

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2013 10:08am

Quote:

When is INT a DDB, other than ump Int?

Insane Blue Wed May 15, 2013 10:08am

Quote:

INT immediately dead ball

chapmaja Wed May 15, 2013 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 894253)
When is INT a DDB, other than ump Int?

Coaches interference. Coach reaches out and grab a runner to stop her.

Other than umpire or coaches interference the ball is xead on INT. The reason these are not dead balls is that you dont want to penalize the defense for an offensive act.

MD Longhorn Wed May 15, 2013 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 894321)
Coaches interference. Coach reaches out and grab a runner to stop her.

Other than umpire or coaches interference the ball is xead on INT. The reason these are not dead balls is that you dont want to penalize the defense for an offensive act.

Oh dear. I'm kind of afraid to comment given that you think I've been picking on you. I'm not... but this one is not just wrong, but scary wrong.

A) that's not interference.
B) that's not a DDB (or any kind of DB for that matter).

Insane Blue Wed May 15, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 894324)
Oh dear. I'm kind of afraid to comment given that you think I've been picking on you. I'm not... but this one is not just wrong, but scary wrong.

Correct it is not INT it's aiding a runner you verbalize Runner is out and play on

Chess Ref Wed May 15, 2013 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 894324)

Here's my humble opinion on this.

I started out posting on the basketball side about 10 years ago. I was very much interested in learning how to do it the right way.

I had lots of great ideas, interpretations of rules, and why my way was better. :rolleyes:

They cured me of all that, with a not so gentle hand.

Getting called out on a board is nothing compared to running around out on the fields and knowing you don't know jack.

He'll stay around and learn, or he won't.

There's nothing you can say or do to push people in either direction.

I believe it takes a person with certain innate characteristics to use these boards.

One is the realization that you're not perfect.

Another one would be the ability to risk being wrong, goes hand in hand with the above.

Also is to have a little bit of glutton for punishment.

Because of this board, in my little piss ant part of the world, I'm considered a solid softball veteran . My Fed schedule this week bears this out

He hasn't left, so there's hope he'll stay and learn how to do things correctly.

ASA Ump MN Wed May 15, 2013 03:50pm

So I guess we can't rule the batter/runner out if there were less then 2 to begin with because the interference wasn't an attempt to prevent a double play? Or was it?

:)

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2013 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN (Post 894353)
So I guess we can't rule the batter/runner out because the interference wasn't an attempt to prevent a double play? Or was it?
:)

Ignoring the tangential nature:

What DP? Are you saying the INT would be the first out and it was intended to stop/delay the throw to 1st?
If so, if R2 did not interfere, would only allow a one out opportunity.

celebur Thu May 16, 2013 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 894359)
Ignoring the tangential nature:

What DP? Are you saying the INT would be the first out and it was intended to stop/delay the throw to 1st?
If so, if R2 did not interfere, would only allow a one out opportunity.

With less than 2 outs, I'd think the first throw would most likely go to F2.