The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Fair enough, although I'd suggest asking your assignor. Considering you also work college games, I'd think you'd have a better understanding that things occurring outside the fence are generally best handled by someone else entirely. I don't mean this disparagingly, but I honestly can't even begin to imagine a fellow umpire deciding to try to enforce something like this in a high school game. I'd be completely shocked to see a partner doing such a thing.

Take it a step further... given that this part of the rulebook has nothing to do with the actual game... what do you do if the HC will not go talk to the PA announcer (again ... not HIS job either)... or what if he does and the PA guy refuses. What penalty are you going to invoke?
If I gave the impression that I would take aggressive action about this, forgive me. I would stop at advising the head coach that the music could cause problems. If he/she does something about it, great. If he/she does nothing, I'm not going to invoke any kinds of penalties. What I would do, however, is inform my association after the game for them to take appropriate action, if any.

I just feel that if I completely ignore it, it could come back and bite me.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker