The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I was sitting at home watching Disney channel with my kids yesterday afternoon when they played one of their little snippets about kids and their hobbies.

Lo and behold, the feature was about a 15-16 year old girl that was an ASA softball umpire! I did not catch her name or where she was from, but they showed quite a bit of footage of her working younger girls FP games and interview pieces. She said all of the right things about knowing the rules and showed her practicing signals in front of her bedroom mirror. In the footage shown, her signals looked good and the uniform was proper. All in all, a good piece and a positive look at umpiring.

Secondly, I have been invited to Park City, UT next week to work the Triple Crown FP World Series. 14u, 18u, and Summer College teams. Several Southern Califonia, Arizona, Texas teams. Should see some good ball and cool weather. Updates when I get back.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Secondly, I have been invited to Park City, UT next week to work the Triple Crown FP World Series. 14u, 18u, and Summer College teams. Several Southern Califonia, Arizona, Texas teams. Should see some good ball and cool weather. Updates when I get back.
Sorry, I cannot help this...

So other than SoCal, Arizona and Texas, how many other countries will be represented in this WORLD Series?

Other than that, hope you do well and have a good time. That is something many umpires don't concentrate on when traveling to do a special tournament. Sometimes, the hosts just aren't geared up to help, either.

I try to allow extra time to enjoy being in another part of the country working games. I don't want to come in, work a load of games and go home. I want some time to kick-back and enjoy the experience and the time with the new friends I meet.

Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I was sitting at home watching Disney channel with my kids yesterday afternoon when they played one of their little snippets about kids and their hobbies.

Lo and behold, the feature was about a 15-16 year old girl that was an ASA softball umpire! I did not catch her name or where she was from, but they showed quite a bit of footage of her working younger girls FP games and interview pieces. She said all of the right things about knowing the rules and showed her practicing signals in front of her bedroom mirror. In the footage shown, her signals looked good and the uniform was proper. All in all, a good piece and a positive look at umpiring.

Mid- to upper-80s to someone from Phoenix would be cool.

Bob
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

Bob
But it's a dry heat
Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

Bob
But it's a dry heat
So's an oven, and a few other places!

Old Wed Jul 16, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Sorry, I cannot help this...

So other than SoCal, Arizona and Texas, how many other countries will be represented in this WORLD Series?
Hey, Mike, I don't name 'em, I just go work 'em! I understand your point, however.

All I know is that I should see some good teams from other areas, meet some umpires from other areas, and enjoy the weather!

Quote:
Originally posted by DAKOTA
So's an oven, and a few other places!
At least I have softball to umpire in January, February, March......