The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Catcher yeling during pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/9338-catcher-yeling-during-pitch.html)

Bluefoot Mon Jul 14, 2003 08:22am

I had a game yesterday where the catcher would yell out loud to his defense when the pitched ball was in the air and before it reached the batter. One batter complained to me that it was distracting him. Does Rule 6 (Slow Pitch) Section 4B apply? "The fielder shall not...act in a manner to distract the batter." If so, I would think that one warning for the first offense followed by ejection for a future occurence would be the proper procedure. Any input from the seasoned umps here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bluefoot Mon Jul 14, 2003 08:53am

This is Men's ASA SP, Class C. (sorry for the omission.)

Dakota Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:04am

I wouldn't allow it in youth fast pitch. It is obstruction. 6S4-B (6F-5B) do apply, and 8-1D also applies.

I would probably warn the catcher to cut it out after the first occurance. And then apply the full penalty (batter gets 1st and catcher is ejected) if repeated.

The catcher has ample opportunity to call out defensive signals before the pitch is on the way.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bluefoot
I had a game yesterday where the catcher would yell out loud to his defense when the pitched ball was in the air and before it reached the batter. One batter complained to me that it was distracting him. Does Rule 6 (Slow Pitch) Section 4B apply? "The fielder shall not...act in a manner to distract the batter." If so, I would think that one warning for the first offense followed by ejection for a future occurence would be the proper procedure. Any input from the seasoned umps here would be appreciated. Thanks.
This is nothing new to softball and I don't have a problem with it as long as the catcher is merely calling out a name or position.

This is S L O W P I T C H softball. A ball 4" in diameter is approaching an adult player with a $300 piece of equipment in his hand at aproximately 5 MPH while the batter's own team is probably doing enough yelling for everyone and he is going to complain about the catcher alerting the defense?

Give me a break.

Dakota Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
A ball 4" in diameter is approaching an adult player with a $300 piece of equipment in his hand at aproximately 5 MPH while the batter's own team is probably doing enough yelling for everyone and he is going to complain about the catcher alerting the defense?

Give me a break.

Big difference from fast pitch, where at the top levels the batter has about 1/4 sec to make a decision on a pitch and begin to swing or not.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

A ball 4" in diameter is approaching an adult player with a $300 piece of equipment in his hand at aproximately 5 MPH while the batter's own team is probably doing enough yelling for everyone and he is going to complain about the catcher alerting the defense?

Give me a break.

Big difference from fast pitch, where at the top levels the batter has about 1/4 sec to make a decision on a pitch and begin to swing or not.

And how much is the catcher going to get out of their mouth in that 1/4 second? Besides, other than idle chatter at the adult levels, FP catchers have a bit more to worry about then distracting the batter.

Besides, we weren't discussing FP.

Dakota Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:11pm

Quote:

You're right. Sorry.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 14, 2003 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

You're right. Sorry.

However, how do you feel about F3 charging the batter with the pitch screaming at the top of her lungs "BUUUUNNNNNNTTTTTTT!!!"

Would you toss her under 6.5.b? After all, it isn't like everybody in the park can't see the batter square around to bunt, so who is she telling?

:D