The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Cactus is back (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/93378-cactus-back.html)

bluejay Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14pm

Cactus is back

The Cactus umpire site is back up and it looks really sharp. New features including a Blog. Check it out at

Cactus Umpires

Andy Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:02pm

Beat me to it....I found out yesterday and was just now getting here to post it.

Lots of good information including pictures and videos.

If you ever visited in the past, you will notice the new and different look along with some of the same good content.

If you never had a chance to visit...you are in for a treat. Check it out!

KJUmp Thu Jan 03, 2013 04:23am

Thanks for getting the word out that its back up.
Always found it to be a great resource.

Stat-Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46am

Glad to hear it's back up again.

Was in a rec league where most teams bat the entire lineup.

In one game, we didn't have the right male-female ratio, and the umpire didn't know how substitution/reentry worked :eek: . Was all set to point him to that site and saw it was down.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 870377)
Glad to hear it's back up again.

Was in a rec league where most teams bat the entire lineup.

In one game, we didn't have the right male-female ratio, and the umpire didn't know how substitution/reentry worked :eek: . Was all set to point him to that site and saw it was down.

As good as that site has always been, I think this "umpire" may have needed a bit more :)

Stat-Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 870424)
As good as that site has always been, I think this "umpire" may have needed a bit more :)

Being a basketball official now, I don't want to speak too ill of others who officiate/umpire. That said, I've come to expect that in a social club setting, the umpires may not be too well-versed in the rules, except for the league-specific rules handed out by the league directors.

Just this past fall, we had a scenario with a different umpire. IFR in effect, batter pops it high in the infield where F4 or F6 catches it right behind the pitcher. Umpire rules it can't be an infield fly because it was caught right behind the pitcher's plate. :confused: Frustrating, but not much one can do about it in this league and setting.

Back on topic, I actually found the Cactus Umpires lineup management PowerPoint useful as a scorer, so I try to manage any scorecard I keep as close to that as possible.

PATRICK Tue Jan 08, 2013 03:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 870566)
Being a basketball official now, I don't want to speak too ill of others who officiate/umpire. That said, I've come to expect that in a social club setting, the umpires may not be too well-versed in the rules, except for the league-specific rules handed out by the league directors.

Just this past fall, we had a scenario with a different umpire. IFR in effect, batter pops it high in the infield where F4 or F6 catches it right behind the pitcher. Umpire rules it can't be an infield fly because it was caught right behind the pitcher's plate. :confused: Frustrating, but not much one can do about it in this league and setting.

Back on topic, I actually found the Cactus Umpires lineup management PowerPoint useful as a scorer, so I try to manage any scorecard I keep as close to that as possible.

If F4 or F6 catches it, NP, if the ball is not caught .....

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Jan 09, 2013 08:26am

Always loved the site.....glad it is back.

Joel