The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Sunglasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/9326-sunglasses.html)

ref5678 Sun Jul 13, 2003 09:55am

fed rules situation. Is their any rule which states a pitcher cant wear sunglasses. I dont think so but just want to check

shipwreck Sun Jul 13, 2003 03:12pm

Without my rule book laying right here I will give this a try. I believe a player's uniform may not have anything that has reflective material on it. If the glasses are just the plain type they are OK. Dave

WestMichBlue Sun Jul 13, 2003 05:58pm

NFHS: A uniform shall not have any dangerous or reflective buttons or ornaments.

I would find it a real stretch to ban sunglasses.

WMB

ref5678 Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:54pm

thanks guys

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:41pm

On another tack-how many of you wear sunglasses out in the field? It used to be so verboten for umps to wear them..but now ASA SELLS sunglasses...I got this year a new pair of prescription sunglasses with heavy blue/UV blocker* to match my new bifocal prescription...I have NEVER seen the plays on the bases better in bright sunlight! I still try not to wear them when working the plate however....

* SO heavy in fact,when you look up at a clear blue sky away from the sun..its ALMOST black!

Lou

ASA
PONY
NYSSO

Dakota Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:59pm

I wear prescription / progressives at the plate and on the bases whenever I am in for a long day in the bright sun. It saves the eyes, reduces fatigue, etc. The tradition of no sunglasses is, well, nonsense, IMO.

Since ASA allows sunglasses, I use them.

When behind the plate, I use one of those glasses straps made for athletic use to make sure they don't slip out of place.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
I wear prescription / progressives at the plate and on the bases whenever I am in for a long day in the bright sun. It saves the eyes, reduces fatigue, etc. The tradition of no sunglasses is, well, nonsense, IMO.

Since ASA allows sunglasses, I use them.

When behind the plate, I use one of those glasses straps made for athletic use to make sure they don't slip out of place.

I can never remember having a problem with umpires wearing sunglasses around here. All we ever asked is that they be plain in nature, not mirror or of a neon-colored frames and that when talking to a coach, you remove them during the conversation.

http://www.mansun-nl.com/smilies/sun_smiley.gif

nhref58 Tue Jul 15, 2003 07:45am

I had an opposing coach, of course, asks me if a player
had to wear a hat/visor because she had sunglasses. I
still run across umpires who ask me when I have the plate
if it is OK for them to wear sunglasses. I always tell them
yes. It used to be on my high school board we couldn't even wear prescription photo gray's. I do now.

Chet Martel

kellerumps Tue Jul 15, 2003 09:31am

I wear sunglasses on the bases and on the plate(Good Oakleys). Always have. I remove them when talking to coaches. The wife will wear them on the bases and about 1/2 the time on the plate.

CecilOne Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:44am

I wear darkly tinted prescription (slight astigmatism) glasses, but unfortunately they won't fit under a mask.

I guess I could learn to remove them during conversations, but since they are not "sun"glasses and I forget I have them on, it would take time. Besides, you can see my eyes from the other side.

[Edited by CecilOne on Jul 15th, 2003 at 10:47 AM]

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
On another tack-how many of you wear sunglasses out in the field? It used to be so verboten for umps to wear them..but now ASA SELLS sunglasses...I got this year a new pair of prescription sunglasses with heavy blue/UV blocker* to match my new bifocal prescription...I have NEVER seen the plays on the bases better in bright sunlight! I still try not to wear them when working the plate however....

* SO heavy in fact,when you look up at a clear blue sky away from the sun..its ALMOST black!

Lou

ASA
PONY
NYSSO

Oh yeah..my bifocals are progressive also...in fact, the optician made my shades with a slightly larger upper area than my regular specs...between driving and umping I use them more for distances anyway.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:26pm

Quote:

Quote:

Lou

ASA
PONY
NYSSO

Oh yeah..my bifocals are progressive also...in fact, the optician made my shades with a slightly larger upper area than my regular specs...between driving and umping I use them more for distances anyway.

..and if I took my glassesoff to talk to a coach..I wouldnt be able to see him/her! LOL

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:43pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:

..and if I took my glassesoff to talk to a coach..I wouldnt be able to see him/her! LOL

And the bad part about that is.........:)