The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   A-Rod Play (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/92728-rod-play.html)

Manny A Mon Oct 22, 2012 01:33pm

A-Rod Play

Recall during the 2004 ALCS when the Yankees A-Rod hit a ground ball up the first base line that was fielded by the Red Sox Bronson Arroyo, and as Arroyo attempted to tag A-Rod, he intentionally slapped at Arroyo's glove and knocked the ball to the ground. After initially being called no violation, the crew chief ruled A-Rod out for interference.

What rule would lead to the same call in softball (ASA, NFHS, NCAA)? I did a cursory look in ASA 8-7, and couldn't find anything that addresses this.

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Oct 22, 2012 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 859508)
Recall during the 2004 ALCS when the Yankees A-Rod hit a ground ball up the first base line that was fielded by the Red Sox Bronson Arroyo, and as Arroyo attempted to tag A-Rod, he intentionally slapped at Arroyo's glove and knocked the ball to the ground. After initially being called no violation, the crew chief ruled A-Rod out for interference.

What rule would lead to the same call in softball (ASA, NFHS, NCAA)? I did a cursory look in ASA 8-7, and couldn't find anything that addresses this.

I think you have to go with ASA 8-7-J-2 Effect........you would get two outs on this one.

Joel

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 22, 2012 02:53pm

I didn't read the text, just the title... but I'm pretty sure the ruling on A-Rod's recent play in the playoffs is still ruled a strikeout in softball.

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Oct 22, 2012 03:21pm

Are you trolling Mike?

Joel

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 22, 2012 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 859539)
Are you trolling Mike?

Joel

No, not at all... I just saw "A-Rod" and my brain immediately went to "strike out" and couldn't move past it.

Umpteenth Tue Oct 23, 2012 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 859522)
I think you have to go with ASA 8-7-J-2 Effect........you would get two outs on this one.

Joel

8-7 deals with a Runner; in this case it's the Batter-Runner, covered in 8-2.

Manny A Tue Oct 23, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 859522)
I think you have to go with ASA 8-7-J-2 Effect........

8-7-J-2 talks of a runner interfering with a fielder attempting to throw the ball. It doesn't cover the OP scenario where a runner slaps at the fielder's glove on the tag attempt and knocks the ball loose. There is also nothing in 8-2 that covers the batter-runner.

The closest ASA rule may be 8-7-Q, which calls for interference on the runner if he/she "remains upright and crashes into the defensive player." This really isn't a crash, per se, but it is a case where he/she intentionally contacts a fielder waiting to make a tag with the sole purpose of dislodging the ball from the fielder.

Or is there something more applicable?

Umpteenth Tue Oct 23, 2012 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 859508)
...and as Arroyo attempted to tag A-Rod...

8-2-F-1
The Batter-runner is out when the batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. (I know, similar to 8-7-J-1, but since he had not yet reached 1st base, he is a BR - technicality).

However, I believe one could argue that because the ball was already fielded that this would not apply.

The only other option I can think of is 10-1.

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Oct 24, 2012 03:21pm

Yup.....I probably rushed it Manny.....but I could give a good argument that in some instances a BR and an R should be treated equally.

Joel