The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   home run?? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/92381-home-run.html)

shipwreck Tue Sep 11, 2012 08:40am

home run??

NFHS rules. Game using portable fence. Bases loaded 2 outs. The ball is hit to deep left field. Left fielder races back towards the fence and the ball goes off her glove and she crashes into the portable fence and is laying on the fence in the full down position. The ball lands on the fence while it is laying flat and then rolls back into the field of play. It either just rolled back in or when the fence came back to normal position, the fence pushed the ball back in, not sure which took place. We signaled home run. I think we ruled correctly but can't find this situation in the rulebook. It kind of threw us off because the center fielder picked up the ball and threw it into third base trying to retire the batter/runner. Can any one give me a rule reference on this? Thanks.

Dave

RKBUmp Tue Sep 11, 2012 08:50am

FED 2-22-2 says fair territory is to the bottom of the home run fence when vertical. Since the fence was down and the ball landed on it I would say you correctly ruled home run.

BretMan Tue Sep 11, 2012 08:55am

I think that you got it right, but don't have any rule references handy right now. If memory serves, in FED ball if the fence is lying flat on the ground, then it is considered to be laying in dead ball territory. In other words, it's as if the base of the fence still defines the boundry line.

If the fence is just leaning outward, but not touching the ground, then you treat it like a normal fence. It's all in live ball area.

By contrast, the ASA interpretation is that if the fence is lying on the ground, it becomes an extension of live-ball territory. If your play had been in an ASA game, it would not have been a home run, but rather a live playable ball.

rwest Tue Sep 11, 2012 09:04am

And furthermore

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 854107)
I think that you got it right, but don't have any rule references handy right now. If memory serves, in FED ball if the fence is lying flat on the ground, then it is considered to be laying in dead ball territory. In other words, it's as if the base of the fence still defines the boundry line.

If the fence is just leaning outward, but not touching the ground, then you treat it like a normal fence. It's all in live ball area.

By contrast, the ASA interpretation is that if the fence is lying on the ground, it becomes an extension of live-ball territory. If your play had been in an ASA game, it would not have been a home run, but rather a live playable ball.

In ASA she can stand on the fence and catch it for an out! In FED she can't.

BretMan Tue Sep 11, 2012 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 854110)
In ASA she can stand on the fence and catch it for an out! In FED she can't.

Isn't that what I just said??? ;)

rwest Tue Sep 11, 2012 09:53am

Just Elaborating

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 854113)

I was just taking it to the next logical progression.
:)

Dakota Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 854113)

What, we can't restate what someone else said in fewer words anymore??? ;)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 854120)
What, we can't restate what someone else said in fewer words anymore??? ;)

If you say so

ASA Ump MN Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:51am

This entire thread could have been avoided if you guys would learn to use the SEARCH feature ... :D;):p
"sarcasm"

Manny A Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN (Post 854128)
This entire thread could have been avoided if you guys would learn to use the SEARCH feature ... :D;):p
"sarcasm"

That all depends. Searches may take you back to discussions that have been since superseded by rule changes, new points of emphasis, etc. ;)

Besides, Searches take too much time. I'm pretty lazy...

CecilOne Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN (Post 854128)
"sarcasm"

Yeah, because this thread is long and the forum is very busy. :rolleyes: :p