The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What do you do to get ready for Nationals? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91961-what-do-you-do-get-ready-nationals.html)

DaveASA/FED Fri Jul 06, 2012 09:47am

What do you do to get ready for Nationals?

Well it's that time of year again and I know from previous threads a lot of the people on this board are getting ready for Nationals. What do you all do in order to get ready?? Obviously hydrate well the last week or two before the tourney, but what else to you do. Not only physically but also what do you do to your equipment / uniforms.

SRW Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 848270)
... what do you do to your equipment / uniforms.

I wash them.

;)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 848280)
I wash them.

;)

Sure your fellow umpires are glad to here that. Now, if the can just get you to do that during the season. :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34pm

Quote:

Well it's that time of year again and I know from previous threads a lot of the people on this board are getting ready for Nationals. What do you all do in order to get ready?? Obviously hydrate well the last week or two before the tourney, but what else to you do. Not only physically but also what do you do to your equipment / uniforms.

Don't forget the little stuff that seems routine. I would usually have two-four ball bags fully equiped. Each had a line-up card holder, good brush, pen (click, not capped), two indicators and a couple disposible lens wipes for glasses. I would keep a flipping coin in the line-up card holder. One bag would include a well-used brush and a credit card-sized plastic scraper for bad weather games.

MNBlue Fri Jul 06, 2012 03:36pm

Quote:

I found it useful to bring a small container of laundry soap and some fabric softener sheets. The laundry in the hotels are outrageous. Plus, a bunch of quarters. It is usually faster and cheaper to drive to a laundromat and do your laundry instead of waiting for a machine to open up in the hotel.

ronald Fri Jul 06, 2012 08:17pm

Study rule book, case book and clarifications. Dry cleaners for clothes and keep them in the wrapper in dressing room. Practice mechanics in front of mirror. Reviewed umpire mechanics--positioning. Buy new uniforms to go with acceptable ones.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 06, 2012 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 848314)
Study rule book, case book and clarifications. Dry cleaners for clothes and keep them in the wrapper in dressing room. Practice mechanics in front of mirror. Reviewed umpire mechanics--positioning. Buy new uniforms to go with acceptable ones.

And find out who your UIC is and his/her forte.

okla21fan Fri Jul 06, 2012 09:39pm

For J.O. play, bring your freakin time piece! I have worked or TDed 4 out of the past 5 weeks in 18u Gold Championship play and I wish I had a dollar for every time a blue walked on the field with no time piece. J.O. Play is a timed game and it is the plate umpire's responsibility to control that. (if its not a timed game, so be it, but if it is, don't sell yourself short!)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 06, 2012 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 848319)
For J.O. play, bring your freakin time piece! I have worked or TDed 4 out of the past 5 weeks in 18u Gold Championship play and I wish I had a dollar for every time a blue walked on the field with no time piece. J.O. Play is a timed game and it is the plate umpire's responsibility to control that. (if its not a timed game, so be it, but if it is, don't sell yourself short!)

Just keep it in your pocket or ball bag. OTOH, you would think the scorekeeper would be better situated to keep the time.

okla21fan Fri Jul 06, 2012 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 848320)
Just keep it in your pocket or ball bag. OTOH, you would think the scorekeeper would be better situated to keep the time.

or attached to your mask :D (wear few 'know' what you are looking at)

but OTOH, I, as the plate blue, I do not really want to have to 'keep' going back to the scorekeeper every time a coach asks...... 'blue, how much time?; (yes, timed games stink too!)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 848322)
or attached to your mask :D (wear few 'know' what you are looking at)

but OTOH, I, as the plate blue, I do not really want to have to 'keep' going back to the scorekeeper every time a coach asks...... 'blue, how much time?; (yes, timed games stink too!)

I'm not. I'm directing the coaches to the scorekeeper. ;)

okla21fan Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:18pm

wear????? how about 'where' (its the heat...yep, thats it)

SRW Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 848320)
Just keep it in your pocket or ball bag.

... and not a kitchen timer clipped on the fence?

;):D

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 07, 2012 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 848335)
... and not a kitchen timer clipped on the fence?

;):D

And I really made a serious effort to not go there...... :D

HugoTafurst Sat Jul 07, 2012 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 848345)
And I really made a serious effort to not go there...... :D

Could you do me a favor and "go there".

In my experience, timers on the fence, "in plain sight" of coaches is the preferred way to administer timed games.

This goes for many of the organizations I have worked.