The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   WCWS Oregon-Tennesee Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91501-wcws-oregon-tennesee-interference.html)

Andy Sat Jun 02, 2012 03:27pm

WCWS Oregon-Tennesee Interference

Anybody elkse think that wasn't interference?

In addition, anybody else think that the Oregon F6 threw at the runner?

KJUmp Sat Jun 02, 2012 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 844505)

Gee, where did we see that play before?

BretMan Sat Jun 02, 2012 05:25pm

That one had me scratching my head. If you really think that's interference (I don't) then why should the umpires have to huddle up and discuss it for five minutes before making a decision. It either is or it ain't and you either call it right away or you don't. What is there to think about or hash over?

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 02, 2012 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 844505)

That is absolutely terrible. Just as bad as the last one.

THs are idiots. There ought to be a rule? Its already there!

If I'm Coach Weekly, I'm probably not leaving that field voluntarily and definitely not until I had a UIC and/or NCAA Rep involved.

Rich Ives Sat Jun 02, 2012 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 844519)
That is absolutely terrible. Just as bad as the last one.

THs are idiots. There ought to be a rule? Its already there!

If I'm Coach Weekly, I'm probably not leaving that field voluntarily and definitely not until I had a UIC and/or ASA Rep involved.

Why an ASA rep - they're using NCAA rukes.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 02, 2012 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 844522)
Why an ASA rep - they're using NCAA rukes.

Because I know where the room is where they keep them? ;)

Doh! Corrected

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 02, 2012 07:26pm

I would now love, LOVE to see a runner turn out coming into 2B and still get hit with the throw and see what they are going to do with that.

As it is now, the NCAA has basically endorsed drilling a player for an automatic out. I guess they better consider mandating the face masks on the helmets......not for batting, but running!!!

RKBUmp Sat Jun 02, 2012 07:49pm

Before even seeing the replay it looked to me like that throw was purposely directly at the runner. She didn't even attempt to clear the throw it was sidearmed directly into the runners throat.

LIUmp Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:10pm

Terrible call. The ump was looking for justification for killing the play. What does NCAA say would NOT be interference on a play like that? Since it seems like every time a runner is hit with a throw they are calling the interference, I' d love to know when it would NOT be.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 844527)
Terrible call. The ump was looking for justification for killing the play. What does NCAA say would NOT be interference on a play like that? Since it seems like every time a runner is hit with a throw they are calling the interference, I' d love to know when it would NOT be.

The sad part is this is the second time it has happened in the post season and you would think a second crew would get it right. Then again, I'm not really sure who made the call. U3 looked lost when it happened, it seemed PU was NOT watching the ball, but looking at 1B waiting for the ball to arrive.

ronald Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:16pm

No tv or internet. No comments.

Could someone describe the play?

Thanks

ronald Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:19pm

Mike,

They are going to call interference

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 844529)
No tv or internet. No comments.

Could someone describe the play?

Thanks

F4 to F6 to face of R1 who was slowing down, but stayed straight.

LIUmp Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:27pm

Yes, this was the second time. I really think you have a great point. I think U3 killed the play when the ball went rolling away ad then in the discussion, it must have been brought up that since he killed the play, he'd have to rule the runner out for interference.

He did look lost. Big difference between the way he approached the play and his call/mechanics and the PU in the other game who called the interference on the last play of the game or even on the B/R interference. Both were done by confidently killing the play, pointing to the culprit, and signaling the out. Not this time.

Ronald, one out - the shortstop was making a play at second on R1 from first and after the out she threw the ball right into the face/throat of R1 on her "attempt" to retire B/R at first. R1 was about 15 feet from base, so no chance to slide nor to duck out of the way. As ball rolled away, U3 hesitated and then killed the play and looked very confused. After a discussion with the three umpires, the crew talked to both head coaches and then ruled B/R out.

On edit: I noticed that the PU did all the talking to the coaches and made the final call. Is that proper? Especially since I noticed that the PU was looking to first for the ball to arrive.

RKBUmp Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:43pm

Now that this call has appeared twice in high profile post season games, both televised and both highly viewed, will NCAA come out with a public stand on their official ruling?