The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Plate shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91352-plate-shoes.html)

Hman Fri May 25, 2012 09:13pm

Plate shoes

I originally had Spot Built low cuts, then after they were purchased, I bought the same pair under the Pentagon label.

The Pentagon are not as good as my original Spot Built. Eyelets cut the shoe strings, and a they are not nearly as comfortable as the Original Spot Builts.

In low cuts, what does the forum recommend or not recommend. Please include the price paid for the plate shoes.

RKBUmp Fri May 25, 2012 09:37pm

My first pair were spotbilts, I liked them well enough but seemed to have to be polished alot and would easily wear down to bare spots on the leather. Think I paid $70 for my first pair. I have New Balance mid rise plate shoes now. They are a little more comfortable than the spotbilts and hold their polish a lot longer. I have yet to wear a bare spot anywhere on them. Got them a couple of years ago and to best of my memory paid $85 or $90 for them.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Fri May 25, 2012 09:58pm

Thanks to several recommendations on this board earlier this year, I purchased the 3n2 plate shoes, and boy, am I ever glad I did! They are comfortable from the get-go, protect your feet nicely, and are feather light. The so fat have taken the worst mud the fields of the Hudson Valley can offer, and clean up looking like new easily. I bought mine off the ASA website for $90, an am glad I did.

By the way, a belated 'thanks' to those who recommended these to me....

robbie Sat May 26, 2012 12:12am

Tanel, hands down. Could wear them on the bases. Heck, could ware them everyday. Around $109, I believe.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sat May 26, 2012 06:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 843459)
Tanel, hands down. Could wear them on the bases. Heck, could ware them everyday. Around $109, I believe.

I wore my 3n2's to church :eek: no lightning yet....:rolleyes:

CecilOne Sat May 26, 2012 08:10am

I have a year old pair of 3N2 and really like them, but prefer my old Riddells.

RKBUmp Sat May 26, 2012 08:40am

Glad you have liked your 3n2 plate shoes, I have had no luck with their base shoes. My first pair literally melted. In the AZ heat the glue just released from the sole and the whole bottom of the shoe started coming off. 3n2 was gracious enough to replace them with a new pair even though I had owned them for about 3 months. The replacement pair have faired a little better, although the soles are once again beginning to turn loose. The turf bottoms also wear extremely fast. I have done maybe 30-40 base games with them and the bottoms are almost smooth.

IN ASA BLUE Sat May 26, 2012 10:04am

I bought the 3N2 plate shoes last year and I really love them. Take polish well (and hold it) very comfortable, lightweight. I think I paid around $90.00 from ump attire. I want to try the base shoes, but I too have heard about them not holding up. I will probably try them though next time I need base shoes.

argodad Sat May 26, 2012 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE (Post 843486)
I bought the 3N2 plate shoes last year and I really love them. Take polish well (and hold it) very comfortable, lightweight.

I love my 3N2 plate shoes, but a friend took a shot off the plastic toe box the first weekend he wore his and ended up with a broken toe. :eek: They're light, but they don't protect like steel toes.

shagpal Mon May 28, 2012 11:22pm

I sent a pair back and got a new replacement pair. it seems that on one shoe, the toe plate was missing. I was informed that the toe box or plate is composite material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 843514)
I love my 3N2 plate shoes, but a friend took a shot off the plastic toe box the first weekend he wore his and ended up with a broken toe. :eek: They're light, but they don't protect like steel toes.

Skahtboi Tue May 29, 2012 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 843480)
I have a year old pair of 3N2 and really like them, but prefer my old Riddells.

I bought up several pair of the Riddell Arbiters back when they quit making them. I still have a pair in the box!

Tru_in_Blu Wed May 30, 2012 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 843459)

A lot of folks like the Tanel, but they don't come in wide widths, do they?

ntxblue Wed May 30, 2012 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 843926)
I bought up several pair of the Riddell Arbiters back when they quit making them. I still have a pair in the box!

Come on now, Scott....

You have to be on the field to wear out plate shoes. I feel the withdrawal pains......mine haven't seen dirt all year.

Are you going up to OKC this week?

Skahtboi Wed May 30, 2012 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntxblue (Post 844060)
Come on now, Scott....

You have to be on the field to wear out plate shoes. I feel the withdrawal pains......mine haven't seen dirt all year.

Are you going up to OKC this week?

Nope. Going to stay around here. I toyed with going up there to spectate, but there are some things going on that will keep me here this year. How about you?

I can feel your pain with the withdrawals.....

ntxblue Wed May 30, 2012 10:22pm

Going through minor withdrawals ..... until it hit 98 last week. Medical induced retirement from the field was not how I wanted to go out.

How soon do think you might be back on the field?

For what it is worth for this thread topic......New Balance is what I bought last year. Love them. Scott is right.....the old Riddell shoes were great.