The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Notre Dame, UA interference call

Bottom of 4th inning, anyone catch the play? R1, batter hits line drive in direction of F4. R1 has to hold for possible fly out, F4 short hops ball and throws to F6 at 2nd for force. R1 now heading to 2nd, F6 makes throw to 1st into runner who is directly in baseline. Umpires rule interference on retired runner, call BR out. As has been discussed on many posts, runner cannot simply dissappear from the field after being retired.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Bottom of 4th inning, anyone catch the play? R1, batter hits line drive in direction of F4. R1 has to hold for possible fly out, F4 short hops ball and throws to F6 at 2nd for force. R1 now heading to 2nd, F6 makes throw to 1st into runner who is directly in baseline. Umpires rule interference on retired runner, call BR out. As has been discussed on many posts, runner cannot simply dissappear from the field after being retired.
Personally, I thought the runner was trying to get OUT of the way, and absolutely not intentionally interfering. Bad call IMHO.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Except for not being able to see it from U3's position, (which I guess would be a camera shot from LCF) looking from 2nd to 1st, I've got nothing.

RKB....thanks for the link and posting the video of the play.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did she slide? I was taught if the throw is not errant and the runner stays up and gets hit, it is intererence by rr.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Did she slide? I was taught if the throw is not errant and the runner stays up and gets hit, it is intererence by rr.
Slide?? She was 30 feet from the bag!
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They taught you that runners closer to 1st than 2nd have to slide?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where in the rules does it say a runner must slide? The only mention of it is to avoid a collision if the defender is standing there waiting to make a tag. There was no tag being made on this play, and as as just mentioned she was maybe 1/2 way between 1st and 2nd. Slide for what? Ive seen some pretty good slides, but none that went 30'.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
They taught you that runners closer to 1st than 2nd have to slide?
no. i did not know she was 30 feet from the bag.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Slide?? She was 30 feet from the bag!
why did not someone say that in the first place. not everyone has internet at home
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what does the NCAA rule book and interpretations say on this?

Above, it says umpires ruled interference. I find it hard to believe that 3 of the yahoos got together and came up with the incorrect ruling. I could be wrong. But god helps us if that is true.

We expect the batter to figure out where a loose ball is so she or he does not get plucked by a throw from the catcher (i believe we have said that is interference). And now the runner can see she is out by 30 feet and can not do something to get out of the way of the incoming missle. That does not add up to me.

Explanations, please and thank you. Why you guys are helping out I will ask one of my UIC's.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Recording 201252274241 - YouTube

Perhaps watching the video will explain it. She did in fact check up, and when she realized the ball was going to hit her she did try to get out of the way. F6 simply drilled her, she had no chance.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
why did not someone say that in the first place. not everyone has internet at home
Ummm.... so how are you responding? Telepathic connection?
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Above, it says umpires ruled interference. I find it hard to believe that 3 of the yahoos got together and came up with the incorrect ruling. I could be wrong. But god helps us if that is true...
The nail in the coffin for this being a bad call is the fact that there was no play to interfere with. The BR had already achieved 1B before the time of the throw.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

It seems there are always 2 camps of officials with differing calls for the runner who gets beaned by the throw while traveling from 1B to 2B. Those who state that the runner must not interfere with the play no matter what, and those who state that as long as the runner is doing what they are "supposed to" and do not perform an "act" to cause interference, there is no interference.

Camp #1 would call the a play like this interference; camp #2 would not.

HOWEVER, regardless of which camp you live in, IMHO there was no way that on this play either camp should have an interference call. There is no way that the throw would have beaten the BR to 1B. The BR was on or 1/2 step away from 1B when the throw was released. The runner could not have possibly interfered with the play, which we define as an opportunity to record an out.

Now, did the umpire have the wherewithal to think to him/herself "Hmmm, would the BR have been safe anyway?"... probably not.

Edit: Dakota beat me to it.

Last edited by PSUchem; Wed May 23, 2012 at 04:10pm.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Ummm.... so how are you responding? Telepathic connection?
for a while, yes. last night my daughter got her foot caught in the computer cord and knocked the computer down and it is out now. have to go the library and that is not going to happen everyday.