The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I was coaching a LL All Star practice game last night. We only had a Plate Umpire, but otherwise, all rules were applicable.

R1, on first, gets the steal sign and takes off. The throw comes, and the shortstop sets up in the base path on 2 knees, almost bent over like you would in a leap frog game, and fields it on one hop, but is bobbling the ball. As she is bobbling it, R1 arrives, but has nowhere to run, because the fielder is in the path. Instead of jumping over her, or running around her, R1 slows down, the fielder gets control of the ball, and tags her.

PU makes no call. I consider kicking dirt on him and calling him nasty names in Spanish, but he is a good firend and I never yell at umpires. However, I cannot see how it is not obstruction. I know the runner has to concede the base path to a fielder making a play on a thrown or hit ball, but a fielder cannot block a base without possession. I want to coach the girls to be agressive on the bases, but do I tell them to run the fielder over in that scenario, go over them, or around them?

Guide me, o wise sages of fast pitch.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Post No obstruction

Ball beat runner to fielder. Fielder sort of had the ball. Ball was in their "possession". Obstruction rule is not the same as a tag or a catch, in that there is no statement as to the possession needing to be "firm."

However, here is another issue...was the fielder in the basebath prior to the throw, and, in the judgement of the umpire, did the runner slow down prior to the ball getting there because the fielder was in the way? This is a HTBT, but if the above two are both true, you MAY have obstruction.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to WillyS Send a message via Yahoo to WillyS
The ball arrived before the runner, so therefore the fielder can legally block the base/be in the base line even without possession/control. Clearly not obstruction.

The runner must avoid a crash. The only options were as you stated, jump over, go around, or retreat.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Yo, Mike...

I know this was a LL situation, but...

I want to use this situation to pose a question to our resident ISF umpire... That's you, Mike

Does this play illustrate the difference between the ASA obstruction rule, which includes the "about to receive" clause and the ISF rule, which (I think) requires possession?

IOW, would this be obstruction under ISF but not under ASA?
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yo, Mike...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I know this was a LL situation, but...

I want to use this situation to pose a question to our resident ISF umpire... That's you, Mike

Does this play illustrate the difference between the ASA obstruction rule, which includes the "about to receive" clause and the ISF rule, which (I think) requires possession?

IOW, would this be obstruction under ISF but not under ASA?
Yes, in international play, the fielder must be in possession of the ball to block a runner's basepath.

Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

And if LL softball......

...uses the same interpretation of obstruction that LL baseball does, then the fielder must have have possession of the ball prior to blocking the runner's path, as well.
I've got an '03 baseball book, but not '03 the softball book, so this is just an "educated" assumption, that it is defined the same in both books. But then again, we are talking LL, so nothing surprises me much...........
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

If this situation happens at 1B, is there any difference? F4 is covering 1B due to a bunt and is not keen on where to place her feet as she has both feet on the base on the side facing the oncoming runner. She is covering a large portion of that base side with her feet. No orange base. The ball arrives before runner, but runner slowed a bit as she had limited space to touch the base and not a direct line to use to run through the base. It's questionable if she did not slow a bit, she may have beaten the throw. ASA
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
If this situation happens at 1B, is there any difference? F4 is covering 1B due to a bunt and is not keen on where to place her feet as she has both feet on the base on the side facing the oncoming runner. She is covering a large portion of that base side with her feet. No orange base. The ball arrives before runner, but runner slowed a bit as she had limited space to touch the base and not a direct line to use to run through the base. It's questionable if she did not slow a bit, she may have beaten the throw. ASA
Did she slow down before the ball got between her and F4? If yes, it could be obstruction (HTBT - it is not uncommon for batter-runners to "give up" on their own if they think they can't beat the throw). If no, nothing.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

She did slow down just a tad prior to the ball arrival. It's a HTBT call. What if the batter/runner plowed right into F4 who was standing in her way to first? This crash would have happened just as the ball was arriving, so F4 would not have a chance to catch it. In this case, I could see both obstruction and interference. Thoughts?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the crash is not flagrant...

If the ball and runner arrive at the same time, it is incidental contact - neither obstruction nor interference. (ASA POE 13).
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answer. So first base is just the same as any other base. It's OK to 'block' the base as long as the ball arrives before or at the same time as the runner. Basically the runner and fielder have a right to be there.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but it's not too smart (injury and the like - runners rarely slide into 1st base).

Simply put - a fielder with the ball may legally obstruct any runner in order to make a play on that runner. That is kind of the idea of making a play, if you think about it.

Since 1B is a "force" play, there is no need to tag the runner, so blocking the base is pointless unless the fielder is trying to slow the runner down to give, say, F5 more time to make the long throw. That would be obstruction.

But, if the ball arrives at the same time as the runner, it is legal.