The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Help Understanding Some Softball Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91064-help-understanding-some-softball-questions.html)

nsc_wa Tue May 08, 2012 05:27pm

Help Understanding Some Softball Questions

Hi there...I am a first year softball umpire, but 4 year baseball umpire. Rules are different in some aspects. I am having some trouble comprehending some questions from the 2012 ASA Umpire Exam. I have researched the manual but still confused on some questions. Could I get a softball umpire with experience to help me answer and understand these questions.

See below:

1. With no outs and R1 on first base, B2 hits a grounder to F4 who attempts to tag R1 but R1 reverses directions and runs back to first base. The umpire rules a dead ball and R1 out.

My answer: False. The runner would be out only; not a dead ball.
----------
2. With no outs, R1 on second base and R2 on first base, B3 hits the ball up the middle for a base hit. An errant throw to F2 allows R1 to score. F2 retrieves the ball but the on-deck batter interferes with F2 who is attempting to tag R2. The umpire rules a dead ball at the time of interference, R2 is out and B3 must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

My answer: True because "dead balls" are called on runners, batter-runners, etc.
----------
3. In cold weather, a player puts a warming sleeve on a bat. The umpire should allow usage of that bat because the warming sleeve did not change the characteristics of the bat as produced by the manufacturer.

My answer: I don't know what to answer. I looked at Rule 3, section 1.
----------
4. (SP Only) If the EP is used, the team may drop down to 10 players and go back to 11 players as many times as they have legal substitutes.

My answer: Rule 4, section 1.3 I do not know how to answer this.
----------
5. It is not interference if a runner intentionally hits a deflected batted ball with their elbow while running the bases.

My answer: False. Would this be considered a dead ball?
----------

IRISHMAFIA Tue May 08, 2012 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc_wa (Post 840814)
See below:

1. With no outs and R1 on first base, B2 hits a grounder to F4 who attempts to tag R1 but R1 reverses directions and runs back to first base. The umpire rules a dead ball and R1 out.

My answer: False. The runner would be out only; not a dead ball.

It is false, but the runner is not out until the defender tags the runner, and the ball is not dead.
----------
Quote:

2. With no outs, R1 on second base and R2 on first base, B3 hits the ball up the middle for a base hit. An errant throw to F2 allows R1 to score. F2 retrieves the ball but the on-deck batter interferes with F2 who is attempting to tag R2. The umpire rules a dead ball at the time of interference, R2 is out and B3 must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

My answer: True because "dead balls" are called on runners, batter-runners, etc.
It is true, but the ball is dead because of the INT. Has nothing to do with the player involved.

Quote:

----------
3. In cold weather, a player puts a warming sleeve on a bat. The umpire should allow usage of that bat because the warming sleeve did not change the characteristics of the bat as produced by the manufacturer.

My answer: I don't know what to answer. I looked at Rule 3, section 1.
It is false. Check 3.7.Note
----------
Quote:

4. (SP Only) If the EP is used, the team may drop down to 10 players and go back to 11 players as many times as they have legal substitutes.

My answer: Rule 4, section 1.3 I do not know how to answer this.
It is true. But it is false. Trick question. The actual reference is 4.4A & C.

Quote:

5. It is not interference if a runner intentionally hits a deflected batted ball with their elbow while running the bases.

My answer: False. Would this be considered a dead ball?
----------
With the exception of umpire interference, INT is always a dead ball

nsc_wa Wed May 09, 2012 12:02am

Clarification

Thanks again Irish!

So for question 4, you're saying the answer would be true according to the question, but technically false. I just wanted to get clarification for marking the correct answer.

For question 5, this would be false then, correct?

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 09, 2012 05:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc_wa (Post 840858)
Thanks again Irish!

So for question 4, you're saying the answer would be true according to the question, but technically false. I just wanted to get clarification for marking the correct answer.

For question 5, this would be false then, correct?

The correct answer for the test is "False"

SRW Wed May 09, 2012 08:41am

nsc_wa: where in WA are you?

nsc_wa Wed May 09, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 840887)
nsc_wa: where in WA are you?

SRW I am from Vancouver. I see you're up in Seattle. Nice to see a fellow umpire not too far from me. How goes umpiring up that way?

SRW Thu May 10, 2012 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc_wa (Post 840909)
SRW I am from Vancouver. I see you're up in Seattle. Nice to see a fellow umpire not too far from me. How goes umpiring up that way?

You need to hook up with Scott Webb, Dennis Allen, and Art Corral. Tell them SRW from Seattle sent you.