The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

This info was passed on to me by an ump who went to the advance school this year and just thought I would pass it on

Fellow "Blues",

Below is a quick summary of the information and latest mechanics as taught at the 2003 ASA
Fastpitch Advanced Camp...

For base mechanics they want us to use 6 words... "Off", "Tag", "Ball, "No" then "Safe" or Sell
Safe and "Out" or Sell Out as appropriate...

For a pulled foot... Point with left hand, then "OFF" then "SAFE" - replaces "off the bag" and
waiving the 2 arm signal, etc.

For a tag play between bases, etc.... Point with left hand, then "TAG" then "OUT" - replaces "with
the tag", etc.

For a play asking the fielder to show you the ball... Point with left hand, then "BALL", then pause for
the fielder to produce it, then "OUT" (or safe as appropriate) - replaces "show me the ball", etc.

For a missed swipe tag between bases, etc..... Point with left hand, then "NO" then "SAFE" -
replaces "missed the tag", etc.

For check swing mechanics as the plate umpire asks you... Either a "YES" and a routine out
signal, or "NO" and a routine safe signal.

Plate Mechanics for check swings...

For plays when "she went" (not the obvious swings) at the plate.... Point with left hand, then
"SWING", then routine strike signal - replaces "she went", etc.

For plays asking partner on a check swing.... Remove mask, step in appropriate direction, point
with left hand at base umpire, then "SWING"? - replaces "partner, did she go", etc

They emphasized timing and proper delay in using the above mechanics.

They covered a lot of material in terms of pre-game, game management, 3-man mechanics, etc, but
the above will give you a leg up as we approach the tournaments over the next few days and
eventual nationals.

Don
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like they want only one word responses. I think that'll make someone sound almost like a primitive person or a little baby. It just sounds robotic to me. I can't see someone doing that, but if that's the new protocol, so be it.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
It sounds like they want only one word responses. I think that'll make someone sound almost like a primitive person or a little baby. It just sounds robotic to me. I can't see someone doing that, but if that's the new protocol, so be it.
Actually, it's meant to create consistancy and create an aura of authority. "SWING?" sounds much more authoritive than "Did she go?", Did she swing?" or the ever popular, "Didn't she swing?"

Short, brief and to the point, speaking of which, is ALWAYS with the left hand.

Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Our crew was given this handout at a meeting prior to the a Regional National Qualifier this past weekend. Needless to say we probably used both the new mechanics and the old throughout the weekend. Was extremely hard to break habits that I have used for years. As the tourney progressed I found myself using the new mechanics more and more.

Also was told the strike/out call was to just come up into the hammer instead of reaching up and grabbing air and bringing it to a hammer as we had previously used here.

Through some study, ASA found that people/players only hear and retain one word so why not use just one. I do like the change as it was stated it will bring consistency to the calls.

[Edited by Duke on Jun 25th, 2003 at 07:24 AM]
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke

Also was told the strike/out call was to just come up into the hammer instead of reaching up and grabbing air and bringing it to a hammer as we had previously used here.

We don't teach this in our schools because we feel it necessary for the umpire to progress naturally. IOW, how will they take it directly to a hammer if they don't know how to get there the long way.

We teach them by the book and once they develop the skill of dropping to the hammer, they can begin going directly to it.

Sort of like learning geometry.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

We got alot of these same things earlier this year at our National School here in Phoenix.

The rationale given at that time was that softball was becoming more of an international game so they wanted umpires that may not speak the same language to be able to communicate with one word phrases.

It will definitely take some getting used to.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Andy,

Isn't most of this published on the site from your
state...cactusumpire???

Great informative site for any of you that have not
visited it.

I know Mike, you can get it from the ASA manuals also.

just funning ya.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Glen,

More than likely, all of this is published at cactusumpires.com.

Our webmaster is pretty good about getting this type of stuff on there quickly. I haven't been on the site for a few days.

You are right, there is a ton of good umpire info on there for all level umpires. You can even see my ugly mug if you look around enough!

Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Speaking of mechanics, do I understand this correctly? Runners at 1st and 2nd. Batter flies out to deep center. Runners tag and move up, then on overthrow, try for home and 3rd.
Two ump system, BU has BR until out and then assumes trail runner for tag up and play at 2nd, while PU covers lead runner tag up and play at 3rd. When the runners try for a further advance, BU should cover trail runner to 3rd as PU covers play at home.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Speaking of mechanics, do I understand this correctly? Runners at 1st and 2nd. Batter flies out to deep center. Runners tag and move up, then on overthrow, try for home and 3rd.
Two ump system, BU has BR until out and then assumes trail runner for tag up and play at 2nd, while PU covers lead runner tag up and play at 3rd. When the runners try for a further advance, BU should cover trail runner to 3rd as PU covers play at home.
The BU merely must make sure BR touches 1B and doesn't pass R2 prior to being put out. With a fly ball to center, the BU has R2, PU has R1 for the tag (unless the two communicate and swap assignments which is okay as long as they have it covered).

Assuming overthrow at 3B, the PU would have cut inside the diamond to make a possible call on R1 at 3B. Now inside the diamond and the ball on the outside, PU would stay inside and take R1 to the plate while BU has R2 to 3B.

Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, sounds like I was correct about "BU should cover trail runner to 3rd as PU covers play at home", even though the trail runner is not the BR.

I assume the PU can go back outside if the bad throw is between home and 1st.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Not for sure but I remember something about once inside you should stay inside till play is over

Don