The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   F3 touches base with glove (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91006-f3-touches-base-glove.html)

kheisner Fri May 04, 2012 09:58pm

F3 touches base with glove

I'm coming here for a ruling because the umpires in my organization can't come to a consensus on this situation.:eek:

Ball hit to F3 she bobbles the ball, gets control of the ball in her non-glove hand then lunges forward to touch 1B with her glove (ball is in non-glove hand).

Was the BR safe or out?:confused:

Welpe Fri May 04, 2012 10:11pm

Just out of curiosity, has a rule book been cracked by any of these umpires discussing this?

NCASAUmp Fri May 04, 2012 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 840311)
Just out of curiosity, has a rule book been cracked by any of these umpires discussing this?

Doubt it...

kheisner Fri May 04, 2012 11:38pm

Fed 2.38.2 & 2.62

Fed 2.38.2 & 2.62, has been interpreted differently by those involved.

I say BR is out, I just haven't been able to find it in the case book with enough specific language to convince some of my fellow umps I'm right.

I came here for help because this has been the site I read because of your expertise.

RKBUmp Sat May 05, 2012 12:03am

Was the fielder holding the ball when the base was touched with the glove? Touching a base is not the same as tagging a runner. In touching a base the fielder merely needs to have posession of the ball, otherwise why would we call it an out for the foot, or hand etc. on the bag. The glove is legal equipment to the fielder just as shoes are. The fielder has posession of the ball and touched the base, it is an out.

Rita C Sat May 05, 2012 12:21am

She's out if the fielder's ponytail touches the base before the runner does, assuming she has control of the ball in glove or hand.

Rita

Gulf Coast Blue Sat May 05, 2012 04:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kheisner (Post 840309)
I'm coming here for a ruling because the umpires in my organization can't come to a consensus on this situation.:eek:

Ball hit to F3 she bobbles the ball, gets control of the ball in her non-glove hand then lunges forward to touch 1B with her glove (ball is in non-glove hand).

This is an out in all associations.......

Joel

x-tremeump Sat May 05, 2012 06:09pm

xtreamump

The two words that are critical in this play are Control and/or possession, I know what you are interpreting, however some Umpires have there own meaning about WORDS in the book. I simply have an out. KISS

okla21fan Sat May 05, 2012 10:05pm

Substitute 'shoe-lace' or even 'glove lace' for 'glove' :D

Rich Ives Sun May 06, 2012 09:32am

Quote:

KISS

Would the runner be out if F3 touched the base with her shoe?

Out.

MD Longhorn Mon May 07, 2012 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kheisner (Post 840321)
Fed 2.38.2 & 2.62, has been interpreted differently by those involved.

I say BR is out, I just haven't been able to find it in the case book with enough specific language to convince some of my fellow umps I'm right.

I came here for help because this has been the site I read because of your expertise.

I think we'd all love to hear how either of these rules could be interpreted to have a safe call in your OP. This is an out - every code (and every baseball code too).

Dutch Alex Mon May 07, 2012 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 840520)
I think we'd all love to hear how either of these rules could be interpreted to have a safe call in your OP.

YESSSSS
please let us all know how you and your fellow umpires came to the "Safe"-call on this.

b.t.w.
I haven't read what to call if the beard is touching the base when the bearded-lady is playing F3;)

Andy Mon May 07, 2012 10:50am

Quote:

Depends....did F3 touch first base BEFORE or AFTER the batter-runner did?
:D:D:D:D

You have already been told the correct answer, but I'm kind of surprised that nobody in this group picked up on that......

celebur Mon May 07, 2012 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 840536)
b.t.w.
I haven't read what to call if the beard is touching the base when the bearded-lady is playing F3;)

Opera!

Dakota Mon May 07, 2012 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebur (Post 840584)
Opera!

No, that's the fat lady... ;)