The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ball Rotation (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90954-ball-rotation.html)

illiniwek8 Wed May 02, 2012 08:19pm

Ball Rotation

NFHS. Regarding ball rotation. Is it inappropriate if an umpire chooses to give another ball to the catcher between innings when a ball gets by the catcher warming up the pitcher. I do this in baseball to keep things going between innings. I was told by a fellow umpire that I shouldn't give the catcher another ball because the pitcher must keep throwing the same ball. After reading the ball rotation rule (Rule 6, sect 5) I don't see anything that says an umpire cannot do what I did. Thanks for your responses.

RKBUmp Wed May 02, 2012 08:38pm

Other than if you are in the bottom half of the first inning and the original ball never went out of play. The pitcher must then throw the unused ball, if you are switching out balls with the catcher then the pitcher would not be throwing the unused ball.

x-tremeump Wed May 02, 2012 09:13pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 839962)
Other than if you are in the bottom half of the first inning and the original ball never went out of play. The pitcher must then throw the unused ball, if you are switching out balls with the catcher then the pitcher would not be throwing the unused ball.

What would the penalty be ???

RKBUmp Wed May 02, 2012 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 839970)
What would the penalty be ???

50 lashes to the umpire for switching the ball? The pitcher didnt do anything wrong, if the umpire switched out the ball the rules say she was suppose to throw it is the umpire who is circumventing the rule.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 02, 2012 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 839972)
50 lashes to the umpire for switching the ball? The pitcher didnt do anything wrong, if the umpire switched out the ball the rules say she was suppose to throw it is the umpire who is circumventing the rule.

50? Are you sure? Where is that in the book? Why wouldn't there be an exception to the rule if it were what they wanted? Is there a case play I can ignore?

Sincerely,

Anti-clone

ronald Wed May 02, 2012 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by illiniwek8 (Post 839960)
NFHS. Regarding ball rotation. Is it inappropriate if an umpire chooses to give another ball to the catcher between innings when a ball gets by the catcher warming up the pitcher. I do this in baseball to keep things going between innings. I was told by a fellow umpire that I shouldn't give the catcher another ball because the pitcher must keep throwing the same ball. After reading the ball rotation rule (Rule 6, sect 5) I don't see anything that says an umpire cannot do what I did. Thanks for your responses.

I see nothing wrong with it either. I do it all the time although it has never happened in the bottom of the 1st. I will certainly remember if it does cause I do not want to get 50 lashes. I wear two ball bags and have 5 balls if possible to start the game as I do not want to delay the game waiting for a game ball. The only time I would worry about ball rotation is at a national tournament.

EsqUmp Thu May 03, 2012 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 839978)
50? Are you sure? Where is that in the book? Why wouldn't there be an exception to the rule if it were what they wanted? Is there a case play I can ignore?

Sincerely,

Anti-clone

I'm not sure what you are driving at here with the "anti-clone."
__________________________________________________ ____

RULE BOOK - RULE BOOK - RULE BOOK
If it's in the rule book, then we enforce it.

You can only ignore the rules you don't really know or when you learn them and don't like them.

MickMob

JEL Thu May 03, 2012 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 840000)
I'm not sure what you are driving at here with the "anti-clone."

Then you aren't very bright are you?

MD Longhorn Thu May 03, 2012 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL (Post 840011)
Then you aren't very bright are you?

What happened to the "Don't quote the trolls" rule?

JEL Thu May 03, 2012 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 840019)
What happened to the "Don't quote the trolls" rule?

:D Rules are for clones. :D

pob14 Thu May 03, 2012 08:43am

Quote:

Six is having problems
Adjusting to his clone status
Have to put him on a shelf
"Please don't put me on a shelf"
All day long we hear him crying so loud
I just wanna be myself
Just felt like the right time for some Alice Cooper.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 03, 2012 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pob14 (Post 840022)
Just felt like the right time for some Alice Cooper.

And here I heard school's out for the summer, or is that forever? :rolleyes:

BretMan Thu May 03, 2012 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 840057)
And here I heard school's out for the summer, or is that forever? :rolleyes:

Only if you're Eighteen.

Welpe Thu May 03, 2012 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 840066)
Only if you're Eighteen.

But then you have to be his frankenstein.

MD Longhorn Thu May 03, 2012 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 840071)
But then you have to be his frankenstein.

Welcome to my Nightmare.