The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Nationals (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90939-asa-nationals.html)

derwil Tue May 01, 2012 07:22pm

ASA Nationals

Anyone know where they are going yet? I had the 12U in Montgomery, AL last year and I'm going back this year for the 16Us.

RKBUmp Tue May 01, 2012 07:49pm

18A Westerns, Prescott, AZ

NDblue Tue May 01, 2012 08:48pm

Men's "D" in Hastings, NE.

NCASAUmp Tue May 01, 2012 09:50pm

I'll probably be at the Men's Senior Slow Pitch Nationals again, but only as an observer. :)

Andy Wed May 02, 2012 10:11am

I will be the Umpire Coordinator for the Women's C/D Western SP in Phoenix, and potentially the Assistant UIC for the Girls 18A Westerns in Prescott, AZ.

The assistant UIC assignment depends on the number of teams entered.

ronald Wed May 02, 2012 10:13am

18 Gold Ok City.

ronald Wed May 02, 2012 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 839881)
I will be the Umpire Coordinator for the Women's C/D Western SP in Phoenix, and potentially the Assistant UIC for the Girls 18A Westerns in Prescott, AZ.

There will probably be enough.

gdc25 Wed May 02, 2012 10:55am

--- slow pitch ---

Men's 16-inch "A" in South Bend Indiana.

also...

Special Olympics Nat'l Invitational in OK City, OK

Moose Nationals, Muncie Indiana. :rolleyes: (does this even count?) LOL

RKBUmp Wed May 02, 2012 10:59am

Andy, who is going to be the UIC at Prescott?

shipwreck Wed May 02, 2012 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 839821)

Hey that's pretty close to me. About 80 miles away. I do quite a few games there. Dave

SRW Sun May 06, 2012 09:04am

Just turned in my contract for the Men's D Eastern SP, Columbus, OH.

qcumpire Sun May 06, 2012 10:22am

I am doing the 10U in Bloomington, IN. I hear they take great care of the umpires there.

DaveASA/FED Sun May 06, 2012 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcumpire (Post 840447)
I am doing the 10U in Bloomington, IN. I hear they take great care of the umpires there.

Yes they do take good care of you. I might see you there!!

VA-Blu Tue May 15, 2012 02:09pm

Women's Majors and A in Auburn, AL if there are enough teams. Second try here as first time was cancelled.

VA-Blu

ronald Tue May 15, 2012 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 839881)

congrats on your elite status. just read the list for 2012 and there was some guy from suprise az. figuered it had to be you.:D

NDblue Tue May 15, 2012 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 839893)
Hey that's pretty close to me. About 80 miles away. I do quite a few games there. Dave

How are the fields?

Andy Wed May 16, 2012 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 842010)
congrats on your elite status. just read the list for 2012 and there was some guy from suprise az. figuered it had to be you.:D

Thanks, Ronald.....Yep, that's me.

Something I never thought I would achieve when I started as an umpire.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 16, 2012 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 842093)
Something I never thought I would achieve when I started as an umpire.

You, too? :D

Just kidding, congrats.

VA-Blu Sat May 19, 2012 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA-Blu (Post 841991)
Women's Majors and A in Auburn, AL if there are enough teams. Second try here as first time was cancelled.

VA-Blu

Just changed from Women Majors to Gold in OKC.:D

VA-Blu

AtlUmpSteve Mon May 21, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA-Blu (Post 842542)
Just changed from Women Majors to Gold in OKC.:D

VA-Blu

Lucky you. I'm still on the holding pattern for the one that won't make.

OTOH, I've done the Gold twice, this is the one I haven't had, and hope to have at some point; also on it several years ago, when it didn't make in Auburn.

VA-Blu Tue May 22, 2012 06:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 842710)
Lucky you. I'm still on the holding pattern for the one that won't make.

OTOH, I've done the Gold twice, this is the one I haven't had, and hope to have at some point; also on it several years ago, when it didn't make in Auburn.

This is my 2nd Gold, and after this I will start looking at the Women's. I truly hold it as an honor to be selected for the Gold or any other ASA National Tournament. I am looking forward to it very much. I too was going to Auburn in 2009 but that one never materialized, here is to hoping this one goes for your sake. Have fun, because I know I will in OKC.

Thanks
VA-Blu

CecilOne Tue May 22, 2012 04:31pm

Back to Salem, for 14U/18U A Eastern. :D :D

Ed Maeder Tue May 22, 2012 05:05pm

Men's Industrial Gadsden, Al

REFANDUMP Tue May 22, 2012 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 839821)

See you there. I'll be making the trip from South Dakota.

SRW Tue May 22, 2012 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder (Post 842929)
Men's Industrial Gadsden, Al

Wow. I thought you quit.

Ed Maeder Wed May 23, 2012 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 842957)
Wow. I thought you quit.

There you go thinking again.

Chess Ref Thu May 24, 2012 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 839808)
Anyone know where they are going yet? I had the 12U in Montgomery, AL last year and I'm going back this year for the 16Us.

Couple of guys I have worked with in the past are coming to you from Sacramento.

derwil Thu May 24, 2012 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 843280)
Couple of guys I have worked with in the past are coming to you from Sacramento.

Hope they like HOT and MUGGY. We had close to 15 guys go down last year at the 12U. Saw a guy from Ohio that literally looked like he was melting. A scorcher for sure. Even some locals went down.

NDblue Sat May 26, 2012 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 842932)
See you there. I'll be making the trip from South Dakota.

We'll be driving right through the center of SD on our way down. There's 4 of us from ND making the trip.

Andy Mon May 28, 2012 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 843280)

...and I am sending two from Arizona...

SRW Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 840441)
Just turned in my contract for the Men's D Eastern SP, Columbus, OH.

Plans change.
Now going to OKC in July...

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 844721)
Plans change.

Congrats.

Andy Mon Jun 04, 2012 02:27pm

Quote:

Plans change.

Very good....congrats and have great time....!

argodad Mon Jun 04, 2012 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by srw (Post 844721)
plans change.
Now going to okc in july...

outstanding!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 04, 2012 05:06pm

Quote:

Plans change.

Don't forget the sunscreen and a bunch of undershirts. Also, the sunglasses. If the NCAA's are any indication, there must be a real bright light in CF ;)

But, seriously, you will need them if you have any early evening games on 1B.

SRW Tue Jun 05, 2012 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 844769)
Don't forget the sunscreen and a bunch of undershirts. Also, the sunglasses. If the NCAA's are any indication, there must be a real bright light in CF ;)

But, seriously, you will need them if you have any early evening games on 1B.

Thanks. Worked there in 2008 for a HOF Qualifier, so I'm aware of what the sun can do, and how the lack of wind bakes you like an oven.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 844829)
Thanks. Worked there in 2008 for a HOF Qualifier, so I'm aware of what the sun can do, and how the lack of wind bakes you like an oven.

There's plenty of wind........in the parking lot and the top of the hill in left. :D

bkbjones Thu Jun 07, 2012 03:50am

Going to OKC in July. Maybe.

SRW Thu Jun 07, 2012 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 845095)
Going to OKC in July. Maybe.

You'll make a great addition to the crew! ;)

okla21fan Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12pm

Mens 40 over Masters FP in College Station (if it makes)

Andy Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 845155)
Mens 40 over Masters FP in College Station (if it makes)

Worked this national tournament two years ago. Only had six teams and two of them were "local" teams put together just for the tournament.

Most of the players in this tournament have been playing for a long time and while they are still competitive, there didn't seem to be the major attitude problems you might see in Men's ball.

Yeah, they still griped about calls they didn't like, but they said what they had to say and let it go. I had a blast with this tourney.

bkbjones Thu Jun 07, 2012 02:51pm

Ha ha ... don't I wish I was going to be on the crew. It's 300 miles from here to OKC, much farther to the national school, so provided the beer truck doesn't hit me ... I might ... just maybe ... go to OKC. Maybe I could volunteer to be assistant umpire coordinator lol

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 07, 2012 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 845165)
Yeah, they still griped about calls they didn't like, but they said what they had to say and let it go. I had a blast with this tourney.

That's only because at that age, they were no longer limber enough to take that big stride out of the BB so you can call them out :D

Andy Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 845222)
That's only because at that age, they were no longer limber enough to take that big stride out of the BB so you can call them out :D

My first national was the Men's Masters 45 & over FP about 10 years ago.

As I was walking into the complex about 6:30 am, one of the players was stretching to get ready for the early game, I asked him..."how do you get loose this early in the morning?"

His response....."Three Advils and Two Bud Lights"

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 08, 2012 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 845309)
My first national was the Men's Masters 45 & over FP about 10 years ago.

As I was walking into the complex about 6:30 am, one of the players was stretching to get ready for the early game, I asked him..."how do you get loose this early in the morning?"

His response....."Three Advils and Two Bud Lights"

I think he was bull****ting you......it was probably two advils and three Bud Lights.

Tru_in_Blu Sat Jun 09, 2012 09:29am

I've been invited to my first National - 14A Western in Hillsboro, Oregon.

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from ASA as I don't have the "right" hats or the "right" pants. I have my flight arrangements set. I'll probably be an umpire that is travelling the furthest to go to a tournament: 1 hour drive from the Atlantic to 1 hour drive from the the Pacific.

I'd appreciate any tips on travelling w/ umpire gear as I've not done that before except gear in the trunk of my car. And logistics once on site. I know each venue must be a little different, but there must be a lot of similarities.

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. Anyone from this board working this tournament? I got the list of names in my package, but it didn't include any log-in names. :)

Thanx for any/all suggestions.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 845408)

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from ASA as I don't have the "right" hats or the "right" pants. I have my flight arrangements set. I'll probably be an umpire that is travelling the furthest to go to a tournament: 1 hour drive from the Atlantic to 1 hour drive from the the Pacific.

I'd appreciate any tips on travelling w/ umpire gear as I've not done that before except gear in the trunk of my car. And logistics once on site. I know each venue must be a little different, but there must be a lot of similarities.

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. Anyone from this board working this tournament? I got the list of names in my package, but it didn't include any log-in names. :)

Have you been given a set uniform yet?

Tru_in_Blu Sat Jun 09, 2012 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 845410)
Have you been given a set uniform yet?

Yes, powder blue shirts and navy pants will be the default colors. I was told to bring the grey pants and navy shirts as well as there may be opportunity to use them.

I ordered the navy pants in 2 different sizes to see which one fits. I was also told to just bring whatever heather grey pants I currently have. So that will save me a few dollars for the time being.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 845420)
Yes, powder blue shirts and navy pants will be the default colors. I was told to bring the grey pants and navy shirts as well as there may be opportunity to use them.

I ordered the navy pants in 2 different sizes to see which one fits. I was also told to just bring whatever heather grey pants I currently have. So that will save me a few dollars for the time being.

That's part of the problem I asked about last November. Umpires, especially for a FP tournament, have enough to haul around without extra, maybe we will use them, uniforms. I wish they would pick a uniform and just stick with it.

CecilOne Mon Jun 11, 2012 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 845408)

I had that first time feeling last year and wow, was it worth it!
Can't help you with travel tips as I drove from home and had my car at all fields. Also, we had a set uniform, better, as Mike's comment supports.

May I suggest finding someone who knows the venue(s) and the UIC for some mentoring about both; and beforehand thorough study prep.

CONGRATS! :)

gdc25 Tue Jun 12, 2012 09:32am

the only tip I have for you...

You check one bag (for a fee) and you get a carry-on plus a personal bag (briefcase/laptop/etc...)

Make sure that you pack at least one complete uniform (including equipment) in that carry-on! The last thing that you want to happen is your bag get lost and you get stuck with no equipment.

Andy Tue Jun 12, 2012 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdc25 (Post 845643)
the only tip I have for you...

You check one bag (for a fee) and you get a carry-on plus a personal bag (briefcase/laptop/etc...)

Make sure that you pack at least one complete uniform (including equipment) in that carry-on! The last thing that you want to happen is your bag get lost and you get stuck with no equipment.

Good advice....this actually happened to a buddy of mine...he flew to Colorado for a week long tourney....his equipment bag was lost by the airlines, he had a uniform, but he borrowed my equipment for his plate games since we are about the same size. Fortunately, his bag was found and delivered to the hotel the next day.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it with less than three bags....one for gear, one for uniforms, one for regular clothes.....

gdc25 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02am

Another option is to find out who/where the host hotel is... arrange for them to accept deliveries, and fed-ex your equipment to the hotel. Much cheaper than checking bags.

Lots of teams do this... (at least the slow pitch teams).

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdc25 (Post 845646)
Another option is to find out who/where the host hotel is... arrange for them to accept deliveries, and fed-ex your equipment to the hotel. Much cheaper than checking bags.

Lots of teams do this... (at least the slow pitch teams).

This is not a bad idea....as long as UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't lose the package ;)

Uniform takes precedence over equipment. You can still get on the field with a uniform.

gdc25 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 845661)
This is not a bad idea....as long as UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't lose the package ;)

Uniform takes precedence over equipment. You can still get on the field with a uniform.

I guess there is just 2 options left.

1) drive.

2a) get your pilots license
2b) purchase a plane large enough to carry all of your supplies
2c) fly yourself.

bkbjones Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45pm

The good thing about working in Hillsboro/Portland/Salem is Honig's is right down the road. If your equipment gets misplaced, if you ask the right person you can get a set of "loaner" equipment for the tournament.

I don't know why those pesky Oregonians are so stuck on navy pants. Duffy is definitely persnickety. John Garrett was less so. If you have a pair of gray combos that will take care of the gray pants issues. At least they don't go for the paramedic uniform. :O

Shipping your equipment would be ideal. Even if the hotel won't take a shipment (and I don't see why they wouldn't), knowing those Oregon folks you could have it shipped to one of their houses. If the umpire coordinator is who I think it will be, that would be an ideal solution.

Be sure and get very hydrated before you go. It can get DAMN hot. People think oh, it's Oregon, won't be that bad. Yeahhh, right. You'll swear you are in OKC at least two days out of that week. The only difference: Oregonians have most of their teeth. :O :O

dablue Thu Jun 14, 2012 05:56pm

:d

CecilOne Mon Jul 23, 2012 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 842925)
Back to Salem, for 14U/18U A Eastern. :D :D

Anyone else?

Chess Ref Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 843741)
...and I am sending two from Arizona...

Cool, I'm not working as an umpire, but I'll be clean up and water boy every day at one of the fields.

Also if any of your guys need a shipping address for their equipment , I'm right here by all the fields and hotels. Just PM me, if needed.

IN ASA BLUE Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38am

Bloomington, In

I will be at the U!0 Nationals in Bloomington, In. Anyone else??? Besides Bill Horrell.

DaveASA/FED Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:10pm

I'm going to try to come by and see everyone sometime next week.