The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   No Tag (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90789-no-tag.html)

PATRICK Thu Apr 26, 2012 07:43am

No Tag

R1 on second, R2 on first, slow roller to F5, F6 covers third. F6 cannot get foot on the bag and attempts a tag. I come up with a strong "No tag" DC comes out to question whether this was a force or not. I explained that F6's foot was not on the bag and I was ruling on the tag.

Is there a different way to handle this to avoid confusion?

MNBlue Thu Apr 26, 2012 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 838961)
R1 on second, R2 on first, slow roller to F5, F6 covers third. F6 cannot get foot on the bag and attempts a tag. I come up with a strong "No tag" DC comes out to question whether this was a force or not. I explained that F6's foot was not on the bag and I was ruling on the tag.

Is there a different way to handle this to avoid confusion?

OFF THE BASE (with sweeping motion of hands). NO TAG. SAFE.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 838963)

Point at base, "NO", SAFE! Unless the receiver didn't get a toe down, forget the "sweeping" motion.

EsqUmp Thu Apr 26, 2012 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 838963)

+1

I try to save pointing for tags, if the foot was on after it came off, the batter did swing, etc.

I wouldn't point at a no tag or a not on the base. That might be confusing to some.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 26, 2012 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 839052)
I wouldn't point at a no tag or a not on the base. That might be confusing to some.

ASA & NFHS would disagree.

x-tremeump Thu Apr 26, 2012 07:30pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 839055)
ASA & NFHS would disagree.

Mr. Irish, where sir do you see any pointing by an UMPIRE in ASA Mechanics. I was told to put my pointing finger in my pocket by ASA Clinicians...

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 26, 2012 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 839068)
Mr. Irish, where sir do you see any pointing by an UMPIRE in ASA Mechanics. I was told to put my pointing finger in my pocket by ASA Clinicians...

Chapter 5.B.2 Swipe Tag/Pulled Foot, Page 250

It will also note that you point with the left hand, one of my favorite issues.

Some who point get into a bad habit of pointing all the time. You only point when there is some need to indicate an element of the play which is missing that caused the unsuspected call.

x-tremeump Thu Apr 26, 2012 09:24pm

xtreamump

Thank You, I use a point with the left hand in those sitch, some Clinicians try to eliminate that mechanic all together because of bad habits by a few.

ronald Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 839068)

xtreeamup.

I know some clincians do not want their umps to point with his or her fingers and they may preface it with "I know that the National Office allows it but in my neck of the woods we won't do it. This is limited to the pu directing the pitcher to play ball. some people get all twisted up about that signal with females. i do not get it so I will point until KR says I can not. oops nd yes youj get to point with the left hand on a pulled foot.