The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Trouble at the park (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/9078-trouble-park.html)

ref5678 Mon Jun 23, 2003 02:35pm

For our local league I am the UIC. In a game I was officiating the other night one of my umpires a high school student was causing problems for me both on the field and in the stands about the forth inning Ive had it so I go over and explain to him that he needs to stop. A half inning later he starts saying things along the lines of umps looking at the catchers but. Blah blah blah So i thro him. He is being suspended minimum of 2 games. I and the league comiss are condisering out for season, or a ban, or alot more games thought Id ask the board for input. Thanks

DaveASA/FED Mon Jun 23, 2003 03:11pm

As a small local league UIC myself I know how difficult it is to find umpires, but there is no way I would but this person back on one of my fields. If he is that immature I would be even more afraid what he would say when I wasn't around. Maybe giving him the rest of the year off will give him time to grow up, and he could be given an opportunity again next year under strick supervision.

Elaine "Lady Blue" Mon Jun 23, 2003 03:41pm

My question is, why did you go directly to the fan, and not the coach??? Either the coach or a school administrator should have handled this kid being out of line. Fans shouldn't have to be the umpires concern.
In HS ball in Georgia, a school administrator MUST be present at all games, not just the coaches. If any problems arise, the administrator handles it.

You might consider talking to the schools that book you, or your state association. Your job is on the field, not on the other side of the fence.

:>0

Skahtboi Mon Jun 23, 2003 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
My question is, why did you go directly to the fan, and not the coach??? Either the coach or a school administrator should have handled this kid being out of line. Fans shouldn't have to be the umpires concern.
In HS ball in Georgia, a school administrator MUST be present at all games, not just the coaches. If any problems arise, the administrator handles it.

You might consider talking to the schools that book you, or your state association. Your job is on the field, not on the other side of the fence.

:>0

Elaine:

Dylan clearly stated that this was a "local league" that he was the UIC for, so I guess that made him administrator for the park as well. As far as NFHS is concerned, there is to be a site administrator on duty where ever you may call it. Just wanted to straighten out those two points before addressing Dylan's original question.

As far as this young umpire's suspension goes, I, too, would have trouble letting him back onto a field where I was the UIC, ever! However, I feel that at least a year may give him time to a)grow up a little, and b)decide if umpiring is really what he wants to do.

Elaine "Lady Blue" Mon Jun 23, 2003 07:25pm

OOPS! My face is red!!! I read the whole post wrong!!
Sorry, guy! I might even suspend the HS kid umpire for more than 2 games depending on the problems he caused.

Again sorry!!!

ref5678 Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:55pm

I talked with our league comiss today and we have decided to suspend him for the rest of the season and half of the season next year. However once he learned this he quit, but all know he was pretty much terminated. Thanks for the responses guys.

IHSAIllini Tue Jun 24, 2003 02:02am

Good call. No shortage of umps is worth using underqualified dolts.

bluezebra Tue Jun 24, 2003 03:22pm

"Dylan clearly stated that this was a "local league" that he was the UIC for, so I guess that made him administrator for the park as well. As far as NFHS is concerned, there is to be a site administrator on duty where ever you may call it. Just wanted to straighten out those two points before addressing Dylan's original question."

When you are the umpire, that's ALL you are. You cannot wear two hats. You're either an umpire, OR an administrator. You may not be both at the same time.

Bob

IHSAIllini Wed Jun 25, 2003 02:44pm

I disagree. As a local league AUIC, I don't cease to be a league official when I step on the field. Does that make me a site administrator under NFHS? Maybe, maybe not - in my view it's irrelevant. As anything with the designation UIC in your title, you've got a responsiblity to act as a league official, even when umpiring unfortunately.

To say one is an umpire only when you've responsibility for quite a bit more in actuality is a bit naive, but it's JMHO.

ref5678 Wed Jun 25, 2003 02:50pm

when i umpire we usaully try to have the league comiss their however he was out of town, which meant i was in charge, both on and off the field.

DaveASA/FED Wed Jun 25, 2003 03:25pm

I agree with Steve. In small leagues there are not enough people to go around! At least in our league all the board members coach a team, some two, and 4 of the 8 umpire. In a perfect world with a big league there would be board members (league reps.) that would be at every game just to oversee the happenings but in small town USA you do wear VERY many hats! Due to the number of small leagues around our area we play several out of town teams and there could be nights where all of our board members are out of town with their teams and as UIC I am the "highest ranking" there.

Bob,
I do see your point and agree that if possible this is the way to run things. It would be much easier and less hassle on me. One thing that I do make sure of is if I am doing a game I don't talk about or deal with anything that does not have to be dealt with. But like several people here know in a small league there seems to be 8-10 people who seem to do it all and too many others that just like to ***** about everything. The only time I have ever had a real "conflict" was when I had a coach want to protest a call, for a misapplication of the rule. I informed him that in our league the UIC makes the final decision on protests, he said so go get him. I said I am UIC. That lead to a few comments of home cooking which were ended quickly. After the game I showed the coach in the rulebook the specific case he was argueing and he appologized so the issue went away.

Since I am a volunteer EMT and Fireman, I have been called off the diamond to put out a fire in the concession stand popcorn machine, and to help a guy having chest pain, talk about wearing too many hats!!