The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Let the players decide.... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90247-let-players-decide.html)

Andy Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:54am

Let the players decide....

How many times have we all heard that?

Saturday, NCAA DII game, I am 1BU, R1 on first, two outs.

B1 hits a hard grounder past F3, F4 has no chance to get to the ball, ball hits R1 as she is running to second.

Play happened right in front of me, I do nothing, since I don't have anything...

R1 stops running, mumbles something, and starts heading for the dugout, defense runs off the field to their dugout.

I look at my 3BU, he is shaking his head no, I didn't kill it, he says, I think (PU) did. I look down to the plate area and the coach is talking to my partner, so I make a mental note to ask him about it later. An inning later, I ask him and he says...I didn't kill it....

Technically, the third out of the inning was R1 abandoning the bases....

Works for me.....

KJUmp Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24am

Works for me too.

My only other thought is, would have utilizing the "That's Nothing/No Infraction"
"Safe" signal & verbal mechanic that's outlined in the Manual have changed the runner's action after being hit by the batted ball?

azbigdawg Mon Mar 26, 2012 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 834326)
How many times have we all heard that?

Saturday, NCAA DII game, I am 1BU, R1 on first, two outs.

B1 hits a hard grounder past F3, F4 has no chance to get to the ball, ball hits R1 as she is running to second.

Play happened right in front of me, I do nothing, since I don't have anything...

R1 stops running, mumbles something, and starts heading for the dugout, defense runs off the field to their dugout.

I look at my 3BU, he is shaking his head no, I didn't kill it, he says, I think (PU) did. I look down to the plate area and the coach is talking to my partner, so I make a mental note to ask him about it later. An inning later, I ask him and he says...I didn't kill it....

Technically, the third out of the inning was R1 abandoning the bases....

Works for me.....

sweet........

cteben Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03am

emily alexander would agree.

That's Nothing on Vimeo

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 834332)
Works for me too.

My only other thought is, would have utilizing the "That's Nothing/No Infraction"
"Safe" signal & verbal mechanic that's outlined in the Manual have changed the runner's action after being hit by the batted ball?

KJUmp Tue Mar 27, 2012 04:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cteben (Post 834457)
emily alexander would agree.

That's Nothing on Vimeo

Great stuff...all of them. Too bad the "that's nothing" was so short.
Thanks for the link.

Andy Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16am

That was part of our post game discussion...that the use of the "Safe - that's nothing"! signal may have made a difference....

Since I do so many more HS and ASA games during the year than college games, I often find myself a beat slow on using that and the Safe signal on a dropped third strike in a college game. It's something I'm working on....

FWIW...my PU partner told me that he saw the play the same way I did and gave a safe signal, but I am reasonably sure that nobody was paying attention to him as the play was happening out around first base.