The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   (New) ASA Rules - Base Distance & Ball Type (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90133-new-asa-rules-base-distance-ball-type.html)

bd41flpk Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03pm

(New) ASA Rules - Base Distance & Ball Type

In reviewing the new ASA rules on the increase in the base distance to 70' for the Level A/B competition I realize that this pertains specifically to the 'dudley' type of ball - depending of course on the type of league.

Looking for some comments on whether or not these same rules would apply to (Rec) leagues using a 'Clincher' type of ball?

Rule book had no mention, so I wanted to clarify if these rules would apply to this type of 'ball' use as well?

Thanks

REFANDUMP Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19pm

The new base distance rules only apply to the 12" game. I assume since you are using a "Clincher" type ball, that you are dealing with 14 or 16" ball. Therefore, the rule change does not apply.

bd41flpk Tue Mar 20, 2012 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 833386)
The new base distance rules only apply to the 12" game. I assume since you are using a "Clincher" type ball, that you are dealing with 14 or 16" ball. Therefore, the rule change does not apply.

Thanks for the reply....we actually use a 12" Clincher ball for these Rec leagues.

We always state that ( except for a few exceptions ) that ASA rules will always prevail as the over-riding principles. It seems in this case since ASA rules simply apply to the 'Dudley' ball......then the rules for the 'Clincher' type of a game can utilize their own 'over-riding' rules then?

REFANDUMP Tue Mar 20, 2012 02:31pm

I didn't realize that Clincher made a 12" ball. The purpose of the rules change was to give the defense more time to react to batted balls and make a play on them. There is also a safety factor involved, as the infielders can now play somewhat deeper. If you feel that isn't an issue, I wouldn't worry about the change. As an umpire however, I'm always in favor of anything that might help me get outs !!! :D:D:D

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd41flpk (Post 833381)
In reviewing the new ASA rules on the increase in the base distance to 70' for the Level A/B competition I realize that this pertains specifically to the 'dudley' type of ball - depending of course on the type of league.

Looking for some comments on whether or not these same rules would apply to (Rec) leagues using a 'Clincher' type of ball?

The 70' bases is for all men's adult SP. In 2013, is will be all adult SP regardless of the ball used. In both cases, it excludes Senior play.

The reason for the change was to accommodate the improved equipment and athleticism of many of the players. In turn, a by-product will give a defender maybe .25 seconds more to execute a play. Remember, it is only one stride for most runners.

BTW, the point about a safety factor is myth. Other than the pitcher and catcher, any fielder could always play as deep as they elected to play regardless of the location of the bases.

SNIPERBBB Wed Mar 21, 2012 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 833420)
The 70' bases is for all men's adult SP. In 2013, is will be all adult SP regardless of the ball used. In both cases, it excludes Senior play.

The reason for the change was to accommodate the improved equipment and athleticism of many of the players. In turn, a by-produc.t will give a defender maybe .25 seconds more to execute a play. Remember, it is only one stride for most runners.

BTW, the point about a safety factor is myth. Other than the pitcher and catcher, any fielder could always play as deep as they elected to play regardless of the location of the bases.

When Im not umpiring...I play 3B on a rec team I like to play in front of the base :p.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 21, 2012 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 833530)
When Im not umpiring...I play 3B on a rec team I like to play in front of the base :p.

What's your point? You can stand wherever you please as long as it is in fair territory, unless you are saying you don't know where to stand without finding a base. Okay, it's confirmed, you're a softball player :p

SNIPERBBB Thu Mar 22, 2012 06:13am

It was to emphasize the point about base distance and safety. The only time I see nonpitchers get nailed by a batted ball is if there was a nasty hop or an umpire standing where he shouldn't be. One of our association members got his leg broke last year.

bd41flpk Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 833420)

The reason for the change was to accommodate the improved equipment and athleticism of many of the players. In turn, a by-product will give a defender maybe .25 seconds more to execute a play. Remember, it is only one stride for most runners.

IRISHMAFIA....

Thanks much for this clarification - on 'all' Men's Adult leagues will be 70' bases regardless of the 'ball' used. I did take a look in the manual for any reference to the 'ball' and of course it does not reference anything other than the 'dudley' types.

Just checking, but is there a reference to any 'ball type' used anywhere in the ASA manual?

Appreciate it !

IRISHMAFIA Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd41flpk (Post 833904)
IRISHMAFIA....

Thanks much for this clarification - on 'all' Men's Adult leagues will be 70' bases regardless of the 'ball' used. I did take a look in the manual for any reference to the 'ball' and of course it does not reference anything other than the 'dudley' types.

Just checking, but is there a reference to any 'ball type' used anywhere in the ASA manual?

Appreciate it !

What the hell are you talking about? The ball is irrelevant and a brand certainly isn't mentioned in the rule book.

You must be referring to a local rule.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd41flpk (Post 833904)
IRISHMAFIA....

Appreciate it !

At the risk of sounding foolish, I am having a hard time understanding why that would matter. They play with ASA approved balls meeting .COR and compression requirements. What is the difference after that?

bd41flpk Mon Apr 02, 2012 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 833931)
What the hell are you talking about? The ball is irrelevant and a brand certainly isn't mentioned in the rule book.

You must be referring to a local rule.

Okay, no need to get excited.....thought this was a 'learning' blog?

I was referring to the fact that the ball we use does not have the ASA designation on it - DeBeer 12" Clincher Softball - Dick's Sporting Goods

However, as you state since the rule book does not specify a 'ball type' it certainly would stand to reason that any ball type would conform to the new rules for the base distance.

Thanks for the clarification......

celebur Wed Apr 04, 2012 01:45pm

For the ball type to matter, there would need to be a local rule. If you play with a specific ball that does not meet ASA requirements, all other ASA rules would still apply unless your local rules explicitly state otherwise.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 04, 2012 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebur (Post 835745)
For the ball type to matter, there would need to be a local rule. If you play with a specific ball that does not meet ASA requirements, all other ASA rules would still apply unless your local rules explicitly state otherwise.

(And any claim you might have against anyone for injury goes right out the window.)

celebur Thu Apr 05, 2012 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 835760)
(And any claim you might have against anyone for injury goes right out the window.)

Which is just one of the many, many things that local leagues don't think about when they write their house rules. Hence the saying, "Local rules are made by fools."