The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I have now had more people eject themselves this year than in the past two.

ASA SP

Bases juiced, pitcher begins delivery and I notice the runner on 3B is standing off the base in foul territory.

I call "no pitch" and rule the runner out. He thought it was a joke up until the time I told him to go to the dugout. The runner admits he was off the base, but not far enough for me to make that call. He told the coordinator to whom he was crying after I made the call that it was only an inch or so, but I'm standing 70' away and it looks closer to a foot.

Of course, I heard the "lousy, terrible, etc. crap from the dugout for a few minutes. The manager was a runner on 2B at the time of the call and had no problem with my call. When he scored after the next batter hit a double, I told him I've heard enough from the dugout and I'm doing everything I can to keep them in the game.

Huh? Oh, did I forget to note that the whining team was playing shorthanded?

Well, game ended with further incident, I exited the field away from the team still crying about the call. Walked over to the stands at another field AWAY from the teams path out of the complex because I just knew if I was within sight of this guy, he would say something.

Well, as I'm talking to another blue who was between games, this player comes up from behind and starts telling me how terrible that call was and how terrible I was and shouldn't be allowed to umpire their games 'cause I stink. Surprisingly (to me), I calmly turn around and informed him that he is now ejected and should leave the area immediately.

Nope, that would be too simple. He kept going on until I requested the complex coordinator (who also happens to be my boss, the state commissioner) and request that she please have the ejected player leave the area. I thought that would get the message across that he needs to go.

Wrong again! Now I became the no good "balless" and "gutless" umpire who will never become a decent umpire, yada, yada, yada! So, I now ask the coordinator to remove the ejected player away from the balless, gutless umpire. Think that worked?

Nope, this guy wouldn't move until she took him by the arm and led him away.

I actually feel bad for some of his teammates with whom I am acquainted socially and on the field. They didn't have a problem with the call. However, the suspension which this player will incur may cost them a couple of games do to a lack of players.

Even Ed would have been proud of my AAs.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice, nice

Way to maintain your composure, Mike.

Like I said in another post... some people's kids just never grow up. Ah the joys of recreational softball.

Arrogant, indignant asses like that deserve something... I'm not sure what.

But they don't deserve the freedom to play softball in a peaceful societal setting. They spoil everyone else's experience and drive away decent people that we would like to see on the field.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Nice, nice

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
They spoil everyone else's experience and drive away decent people that we would like to see on the field.
This is true. I am aware of more than a half-dozen "good-guy" type of players who have left the game and taken up golf. I'm sure there are many more than that.

Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Nice, nice

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
They spoil everyone else's experience and drive away decent people that we would like to see on the field.
This is true. I am aware of more than a half-dozen "good-guy" type of players who have left the game and taken up golf. I'm sure there are many more than that.

When I played, I played for fun. Yeah, I could get my *game face* on in some instances, but when it got to be a chore to be with some grumbling teammates, I started umping.

Now, I ump for fun. And still, at times, I have to find my *game face*. Lucky for me that my partners are out there for the same reason, ...for the fun of being part of thye game.

Nice job handling an ugly situation, Mike. Decorum on the field is an underated tool that we use to keep holding our heads up.
mick

Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
An added definition of AA:
Players who stand in a group behind second base after a field has been cleared for lightning, especially if they have teammates who gather under the backstop and in the dugout.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
thanks...I now know how to spell yada, yada, yada...isn't this officiating just a blast?