The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Hypothetical (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89792-hypothetical.html)

SamG Wed Mar 07, 2012 05:24pm

Hypothetical

I'm a dad/fan, not an ump. At an indoor tournament this past weekend. You guys would love it... all fans behind outfield fence. ;)

Anyway, during one of the games, B bunts & takes off for first. PU raises arm (I think... it's been a couple days and it was overnight games that I still haven't recovered from) and calls the batter out (catcher hadn't thrown the ball yet, don't remember if she had even recovered it by than).

I asked parents around me if she ran into the ball because I couldn't see it. Another parent said "no, she stepped on the plate." I didn't know that was a rule, never saw it before (although I've only been watching 5 years now as my DD has grown up).

So my question... aside from the runner touching the ball as she ran to 1st, is there any other reason to call her out? She didn't throw her bat or anything obvious to me, but of course, I was beyond LF.

CecilOne Wed Mar 07, 2012 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 830627)
I'm a dad/fan, not an ump. At an indoor tournament this past weekend. You guys would love it... all fans behind outfield fence. ;)

Anyway, during one of the games, B bunts & takes off for first. PU raises arm (I think... it's been a couple days and it was overnight games that I still haven't recovered from) and calls the batter out (catcher hadn't thrown the ball yet, don't remember if she had even recovered it by than).

I asked parents around me if she ran into the ball because I couldn't see it. Another parent said "no, she stepped on the plate." I didn't know that was a rule, never saw it before (although I've only been watching 5 years now as my DD has grown up).

So my question... aside from the runner touching the ball as she ran to 1st, is there any other reason to call her out? She didn't throw her bat or anything obvious to me, but of course, I was beyond LF.

If the foot touches the plate, or the ground completely outside the batter box at the moment the bat hits the ball, the batter is out. Fair or foul, swing or bunt.

Also, quite possible a special tournament rule was called.

SamG Wed Mar 07, 2012 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 830632)
If the foot touches the plate, or the ground completely outside the batter box at the moment the bat hits the ball, the batter is out. Fair or foul, swing or bunt.

Also, quite possible a special tournament rule was called.

Thanks. I did know that rule, but wasn't thinking about it at the time.

I did feel sorry for the umps running the overnight games. I wonder if they got paid extra.:D

One time, BU, moving from B to C (I think... from the first base side of 2nd to the third base side) had his arms straight out (I guess signalling something to PU?), and then started "flying" like a kid... banking left and right, etc. Of course, this was 2am in the morning. I'm guessing he was a little slap happy by that point. :p

umpire george Wed Mar 07, 2012 07:26pm

Perhaps the BU was having a heart attack!!!

DaveASA/FED Thu Mar 08, 2012 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 830634)
One time, BU, moving from B to C (I think... from the first base side of 2nd to the third base side) had his arms straight out (I guess signalling something to PU?), and then started "flying" like a kid... banking left and right, etc. Of course, this was 2am in the morning. I'm guessing he was a little slap happy by that point. :p

Come on you have got to be kidding me....all these experienced umpires and nobody knows the internationally approved infield fly signal???? Of course it's only approved to be used from 2am-4am so maybe that's why you all forgot about it :D

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 830705)
Come on you have got to be kidding me....all these experienced umpires and nobody knows the internationally approved infield fly signal???? Of course it's only approved to be used from 2am-4am so maybe that's why you all forgot about it :D

And this is why the forum needs a LIKE button.

+1