The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Never Seen This Happen Before — What's The Ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89395-never-seen-happen-before-whats-ruling.html)

The Stiff Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25am

Never Seen This Happen Before — What's The Ruling?

I have never seen this happen in almost 40 years of coaching. The umpire ruled promply and definitively, but I have no idea whether the ruling was correct or not. Here is the play:

One out, runner on third. Batter swings and misses and strikes out, with the ball striking her arm and going to the backstop (catcher misses). Runner scores, batter reaches first. Umpire rules that the run can score, but rules batter out.

Seems to me that 1) ball should either be dead, no one can advance; or 2) ball remains alive and everyone can advance. Don't understand why one runner can advance, but not the other.

NCASAUmp Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34am

You didn't specify which ruleset (high school/NFHS, ASA, etc.,), so I'm going to give the ASA answer.

If the batter swings and the ball hits her, it's an immediate dead ball, a called strike, and runners can't advance. If it's strike 3, the batter is out. The rule citation is ASA 8-6-D.

Did the umpire acknowledge that the ball hit the batter?

CecilOne Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stiff (Post 826947)
I have never seen this happen in almost 40 years of coaching. The umpire ruled promply and definitively, but I have no idea whether the ruling was correct or not. Here is the play:

One out, runner on third. Batter swings and misses and strikes out, with the ball striking her arm and going to the backstop (catcher misses). Runner scores, batter reaches first. Umpire rules that the run can score, but rules batter out.

Seems to me that 1) ball should either be dead, no one can advance; or 2) ball remains alive and everyone can advance. Don't understand why one runner can advance, but not the other.

It's a dead ball strike in just about any code.

If the ball did not hit the batter or if the umpire did not see it, it's an U3K, so the batter could go to 1st.

Looks like either way, the call was wrong.

The Stiff Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36pm

Nhfs

Sorry guys, this was a high school varsity game. NHFS rules

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stiff (Post 827007)

Don't think it really doesn't make a difference, it is the same in all. Any pitched ball that hits any part of the batter's body or uniform is a dead ball, whether they swing or not.

Skahtboi Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stiff (Post 827007)

For NFHS the ruling is the same as the one previously given by NCASAUmp.

shipwreck Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 827027)
Don't think it really doesn't make a difference, it is the same in all. Any pitched ball that hits any part of the batter's body or uniform is a dead ball, whether they swing or not.

By using a double negative, do you mean that it does make a difference, or did you just mistype?:D

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:16pm

Pitched ball striking the batter is an immediate dead ball in all situations, all rule sets, both baseball and softball.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 23, 2012 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 827041)
By using a double negative, do you mean that it does make a difference, or did you just mistype?:D

Yeah, that's what happens when you edit part of a comment and don't go back and reread the who thing.:o

BretMan Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21pm

I'm just kind of amazed that someone could be around this game for 40 years and never have seen a batter get hit by a pitch while swinging at it. :eek:

It's not like it happens a lot, but I might see this once or twice a year (though my typical year is 100+ games of umpiring). It just seems like the odds are that it would come up at least once...

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 24, 2012 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 827262)
I'm just kind of amazed that someone could be around this game for 40 years and never have seen a batter get hit by a pitch while swinging at it. :eek:

I agree...

2 seasons ago I had a girl (bottom of the order and all that implies) square around to bunt against what was normally a VERY good pitcher. Ball gets away from pitcher though and heads straight for the batters box. Batter tries to bunt it anyway (perhaps in self defense, but the attempt to hit the ball with the bat was obvious to all), she misses for strike 3 and the ball hits her in the NECK.

After 10 minutes of the coach dealing with her, he tells her to go on to first base. It was quite painful to have to explain that not only did she not get first, but that she was out.

rwest Fri Feb 24, 2012 09:25am

Wait for it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 827215)
Yeah, that's what happens when you edit part of a comment and don't go back and reread the who thing.:o

Or the whole thing! :)

CecilOne Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 827041)

He si snberginnibg to type liek ai dpo. :D

NCASAUmp Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 827332)
He si snberginnibg to type liek ai dpo. :D

For a minute there, I thought you were typing something in Danish or Dutch.

Jeg forstod deg ikke! Snakk engelsk, spansk eller engelsk! :p

IRISHMAFIA Fri Feb 24, 2012 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 827320)
Or the whole thing! :)

c what i mean?