The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New gear this year? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89198-new-gear-year.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:59am

New gear this year?

CecilOne, in the ASA Jacket indicated he is 'pledging' not to buy any new gear/unis this year, so I thought I would start a new thread directly asking:

What new gear do you need/want to buy this year? that includes unis too!

Let me run down the state of my gear:

Mask: Only a couple of seasons old - nice and broke in now (yer basic two tone Wilson combo vinyl/doeskin)

Body protector: My Pro Nine protector is still solid after 5 seasons of use, I am good there.

Leg guards: DING DING DING My Davis guards are also five, and have taken more than their share of hits - They are pretty scratched up, and, more importantly, the inside liners are getting worn - time to replace! I'm definitely buying those again.

Base shoes: My NB field shoes are still in very good shape, and literally as comfortable as an old shoe :p At least another season before replacement!

Plate shoes: DING DING DING My old Spotbilt high tops still fit, but look worn, so time to replace! Any recommendations on a good, fairly reasonable plate shoe?

Uniforms: NYSSO finally voted for heather gray pants - but - made it 'optional' for the local groups. Seeing as how our local had voted to recommend the change, I can actually go out and buy new gray, and not buy navy blue (our ASA group went gray couple of years ago..)

so that is basically it for me - I always buy at least one new hat every year, and couple of other small things, but that is automatic for me!

Your turn!

NCASAUmp Sun Feb 19, 2012 09:15am

Base shoes:
Since I'm primarily SP, I go through base shoes like Pez. I have to buy a new pair almost every year because either the soles get completely worn out, or the leather or stitching starts breaking. I tried 3N2, but their quality is pretty poor, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Plate shoes:
Honig's and ump-attire.com are both selling the New Balance 450s for $80 to make way for the 460s. They give great protection and support, and they're very comfortable.

Shin guards:
I'm definitely good there. My Pro-Nines are too new to be scuffed up that badly.

Chest Protector:
Still good. Pro-Nine CPU-B. :)

Mask:
I might want to consider something a little heavier than what I currently have: the Diamond ix3 mask. It's very light and extremely comfortable, but I think I'll need something a bit more solid if I plan on moving up. Plus, it never hurts to have a backup, as masks can still crack, especially if it's really cold out.

Uniforms:
I know people have their opinions on the style of Fechheimer, but I've got pants that are going on their 3rd year without a problem. Their quality and durability are really top-notch. My shirts are still holding up pretty well, but I plan on replacing some of them once ASA switches shirts (I hear a new option is probably coming next year - same style, different manufacturer/material).

Caps: I've got two 8-stitch caps and one 4-stitch. I'm all set. :)

I'm still working on getting the funds to purchase my new online home, and I plan on having a section there devoted entirely towards this subject. A few of you have already seen the basic plans, but I won't open house until I update the framework. I'll let you know. PM for details.

NSABill Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01am

The 3n2 Plate shoe is for sure the most comfotable plate shoe I have ever had.
Got them last year for the first time. Will never wear anything else again.

NCASAUmp Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSABill (Post 825605)
The 3n2 Plate shoe is for sure the most comfotable plate shoe I have ever had.
Got them last year for the first time. Will never wear anything else again.

My first pair of the base shoes started cracking at the toes after just a couple of months (less than 100 games). 3N2 showed good customer service by shipping another pair to me free of charge, but those started to wear out very unevenly and very quickly. I replaced those with another pair, but the soles started to separate from the shoe after about 100 games. I had a rep offer to replace them yet again, but I declined.

I'm done with 3N2 until they can get their act together.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24am

For base shoes, I'll stick with a NB walking shoe. They provide a nice wide base. The ones I wear today are the same I word 3 years ago and because they are somewhat of a standard black shoe, I can wear them anytime/anywhere, not just for softball.

NCASAUmp Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 825610)
For base shoes, I'll stick with a NB walking shoe. They provide a nice wide base. The ones I wear today are the same I word 3 years ago and because they are somewhat of a standard black shoe, I can wear them anytime/anywhere, not just for softball.

Got a particular model number that you like?

Bill S Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46am

Would not touch the base shoe. Do seem cheap.
I was given the 3n2 base shoe and just did not like them. Comfortable as heck but gave me blisters. Gave them away pretty quick.

Plate shoes so far are holding up pretty good. 100+ games.

3afan Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31am

had to get the new striped jacket and a another no-logo cap for my HS games ... hope to get UIL caps soon

got a new lightweight mask just because

that be it - need nothing for ASA games

Welpe Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 825626)
had to get the new striped jacket and a another no-logo cap for my HS games ... hope to get UIL caps soon

I didn't realize there were any UIL softball chapters...interesting.

argodad Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 825610)

But doesn't the spit-shine stand out with your blue jeans? :D

IRISHMAFIA Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 825716)
But doesn't the spit-shine stand out with your blue jeans? :D

Spit shines are in my past, way in my past. Just want clean and polished shoes and, unfortunately, I'm lucky if I can get just clean from some umpires.

DaveASA/FED Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50am

I am still trying to figure out what I am going to buy this year. HS changed the official uniform for my state, luckily I have blue pants from ASA, well that is if they fit.....my closet lights are TERRIBLE about shrinking those pants :D but need new shirts (powder blue no logo, or new state logo) will need new hats, since they changed our required state logo on the hats, new jacket required by next season (new logo and powder blue piping on shoulders).

I think I am good on my plate gear and shoes. New 3N2 plate shoes last year holding up well, new 3N2 base shoes also holding up well. New Diamond light weight mask last year. Shutt Kool-Vest 4-5 years old, other than a little tear in the undershirt part it's doing very well. Shin guards are my oldest piece of equipment, they are probably 12-13 year old UMP-shins and are still working fine! But I'm sure I will spend some $$ on something that I can't live without soon!!! Do me a favor.....don't tell the wife!!! Don't worry she will know before I get done with the transaction....stupid direct deposit and on-line banking can't hide anything anymore :p

NCASAUmp Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 825984)
I am still trying to figure out what I am going to buy this year. HS changed the official uniform for my state, luckily I have blue pants from ASA, well that is if they fit.....my closet lights are TERRIBLE about shrinking those pants :D but need new shirts (powder blue no logo, or new state logo) will need new hats, since they changed our required state logo on the hats, new jacket required by next season (new logo and powder blue piping on shoulders).

I think I am good on my plate gear and shoes. New 3N2 plate shoes last year holding up well, new 3N2 base shoes also holding up well. New Diamond light weight mask last year. Shutt Kool-Vest 4-5 years old, other than a little tear in the undershirt part it's doing very well. Shin guards are my oldest piece of equipment, they are probably 12-13 year old UMP-shins and are still working fine! But I'm sure I will spend some $$ on something that I can't live without soon!!! Do me a favor.....don't tell the wife!!! Don't worry she will know before I get done with the transaction....stupid direct deposit and on-line banking can't hide anything anymore :p

Didn't you hear? ASA now mandates that all shin guards be less than 10 years old. :p :D

robbie Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08am

Plate shoes: Tanel !!!!!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 825989)
Didn't you hear? ASA now mandates that all shin guards be less than 10 years old. :p :D

Then I guess I have a real problem with my 40+ yo Rawlings chest protector :rolleyes: