The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Player ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/8914-player-ejection.html)

emaxos Mon Jun 09, 2003 09:56am

Championship game 18U travel tourney. ASA rules. Runner gets caught in rundown b/t 3rd and HP. Runner doesn't slide (too close to HP) but basically bear hugs defender as they collide. No malicious intent evident to anyone. Both players remain upright. Defender hangs on, runner called out, then ejected. PU tells coach runner was trying to knock defender down. Well DUH.
I understand ejection if cleats, elbows or fists are up and there is clear evidence of attempt to harm but just a collision?? Isn't a no call or maybe a warning called for in this situation?
Opposition later had player ejected for play at HP but her elbows were up which was much more malicious.

I'm sure PU had no doubt who the ejected player's Dad was and I give him credit for some patience in taking my clean but loud tirade.
Pain eased when team went on to win.

Andy Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by emaxos
Championship game 18U travel tourney. ASA rules. Runner gets caught in rundown b/t 3rd and HP. Runner doesn't slide (too close to HP) but basically bear hugs defender as they collide. No malicious intent evident to anyone.
Eveidently, there was malicious intent eveident to the umpire.

Sorry, coach...this is a judgement call and none of us were there to see it. Even if we were, it is still the judgement of the one who matters, The umpire on that game.

I don't think that you will find any sympathy here.

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:49am

The only allowable collisions are incidental ones. There is no allowance in the rules to intentionally run over players.

Intent is considered malicious and the result is often ejection.

Just as the defense is not allowed to block the baseline without having the ball, runners should step to the side and not create contact.

Incidental contact is when both players are moving to the same spot as the ball arrives and the defense attempts make a catch and tag.

Just to be general. :D

greymule Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:50am

Had the fielder dropped the ball, I would have ruled the runner out for remaining on her feet and crashing, even though "crash" doesn't quite seem to apply in the situation you describe. However, I would not have ejected the runner. To me, only a deliberate, malicious, or reckless crash warrants ejection. Not a bump or a fast run through the tag. A "bear hug" is an obvious attempt to avoid hurting the fielder.

I have called many crashes, but few went as far as ejection.

emaxos Tue Jun 10, 2003 09:58am

Player ejection

Thanks for your inputs. I hope that my daughter can learn from this incident and become an even better player by not pushing her luck. Maybe next time she'll stay at 3B.