The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2000, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

There are rummers on 2nd & 3rd and one out. Fly ball to centerfielder there are now two outs,players on both teams leave field of play. You and your partner assume don't tell don't ask position. The team that was on base starts out to the field to begin warmups for next inning. They then realize there was only two outs,so you then put runners back where they were at the last out. Then the inning gets finished. Anything to do besides preventive umpiring? Also the scene would have been different had there been scenario had there been an appeal play after players leave the field of play. Then you could do something different right? But what about the play with the one out becoming three outs anything to do?
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

YOU ARE RIGHT A CLEAR CASE FOR PREVENTIVE UMPIRING!i WOULD MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNEW THAT WAS ONLY TWO OUTS IF THEY STARTED TO LEAVE THE FIELD.iF THEY TRIED A APPEAL PLAY AFTERWARDS i WOULDN'T LET IT HAPPEN.AS FAR AS I CAN TELL ABOUT YOUR ONE BECOMING THREE OUTS IT SOUNDS LIKE INNING OVER AND A GOOD THING UNLESS I MISS SOMETHING.
Old Mon May 01, 2000, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

There are a lot of factors that would determine this play.
1) level of play
2) Did both teams equally have brain freeze at the same time
3) Did they both leave at the same time or did 1 bait the other into leaving.

But if this is an older division game, let's remember the offensive team has runs riding on this. If the runners abandond running, they are out. Call them out of the baseline, whatever. It could be also thought of like a drop 3rd strike. The batter can run to 1st, until they reach basically dead ball
area, which then you bang them out for abandondment.