The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Men's ball - imaginary/extended fence lines - Foul ball is popped up and the left fielder is in the field of play but ball is in out of play territory. He reaches over the imaginary/extended fence and catches the ball. I called it a foul ball out of play not a catch. I say it is where the ball is when it is touched not where the player is. Right or wrong?

Glen G
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Call

Read your rule book.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Hey blueballs,

If I needed answers like yours I'd go somewhere else. If you can't carry on a discussion don't bother to type a response.

I see your 3 posts qualifies you as quite the expert Dick.

If I was so wrong please explain why in a real recent post "fair or foul" they contradict your comments.

Where in the rule book does it say I'm wrong because I DID try to find it first.

Glen G

[Edited by Glen G on May 20th, 2003 at 05:59 AM]
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen G
Hey blueballs,

If I needed answers like yours I'd go somewhere else. If you can't carry on a discussion don't bother to type a response.

I see your 3 posts qualifies you as quite the expert Dick.

If I was so wrong please explain why in a real recent post "fair or foul" they contradict your comments.

Where in the rule book does it say I'm wrong because I DID try to find it first.

Glen G

[Edited by Glen G on May 20th, 2003 at 05:59 AM]
Speaking ASA

It was a bad call (in all sanctioning bodies). This is a fly ball and has not yet qualified under the definition of the foul ball prior to being caught. Any fielder who has not yet had any part of their body in complete contact with the area designated as dead ball territory is active and permitted to catch any live fly ball for an out.

It seems you have confused this with the fair/foul issue. It is not the same. Read ASA 1 - Dead Ball definition. Your batted ball does not qualify.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
To elaborate a bit on what Mike has said, a live ball must touch something in dead ball territory before it is ruled dead, so a fielder is permitted to reach over a fence or across a real or an imaginary dead ball line and catch a fly ball for an out. OTOH, a batted bal is ruled a foul ball if it is on or over foul territory when first touched.

Let me reemphasize, don't forget to study the Definitions, Rule 1 (ASA) or Rule 2(FED), when you're studying your rulebooks.

SamC
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board, Glen and blueballs!

Glen,

For fair and foul calls, the position of the ball determines the call, not the position of the player.

For out of play calls, the position of the player determines the call, not the position of the ball.

Example: Player running to catch a long fly ball veering toward the left field out of play line (no fence). Player overruns and is standing out of play when she reached back and catches the ball (which is still in bounds). Dead ball - out of play - no catch.

The opposite is also true - the player can remain in bounds and reach over the fence or line to catch a fly ball for an out.

blueballs,

There are a lot of wild a wooly debate boards where the culture of the board is attack, slash and burn. In fact, I participate in a few and enjoy them a lot. This board, however, is not one of those. Please use respectful decorum here.

BTW, I notice from your profile you're from Minnesota. Me, too. However, your web site listed in your profile is no longer functioning.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
... snip ...
There are a lot of wild a wooly debate boards where the culture of the board is attack, slash and burn. In fact, I participate in a few and enjoy them a lot. This board, however, is not one of those. Please use respectful decorum here.

... snip ...
Well said! I agree, but I'm glad I held back.